Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 9, 2017

Hi all
    I listed an item on eBay for au$3500 plus postage. I get an approach from someone with zero feedback, joined in 2017. He asks me what my best price is, I say I think I've listed it at fair price, and suggested that if he is a member here he contacts me here.

His response

Thank you for getting back to me,I will be offering you AU$3,700 [yes, that's right, $200 MORE than what I listed it for] for the cost of the items including shipping cost to my son,as am sending the item on my behalf to my adopted-son as a Birthday Gift he is currently studying in a missionary college in Oversea.I want the item sent to him Via (AUSTRALIAN POST EXPRESS with Insurance) for Fast Delivery,I will like to know the present condition of the item,I have find out the postage costs on the Australian post website and i have added it accordingly to the costs of the item and i want the posted through Austraian Post.
    So i will be making the payment with either paypal or bank transfer,kindly send me a paypal invoice money request to my email ([email protected]) or give me your paypal account email address, so that i can make the payment, or get back to me on my email using the item number as the subject and also with your bank details or to this email ([email protected]) so that i can make payment. and you can post the item to him.
    Thank You.

I'm a bit suspicious and don't think I'd sell through PayPal/eBay. Has anyone seen this scam before?

Brey17 likes this.
  2. bokbok Apr 9, 2017

Be a scam always are when then mentioned sending some where else adopted son birthday present oversea.... Zero feedback ...

Syrte, Greatoldone and queBurro like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2017

This is the Gumtree scam that has been around for years.

Have seen guys been stung selling motorbikes, once shipped they pull the funds

EdtheAussie likes this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 9, 2017

If they do a wire transfer here in Oz, how can they pull the funds?

WatchVaultNYC and Jwit like this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 9, 2017

bigdubnick, dnuggett, ATWG and 6 others like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2017

PayPal, bet they would say they can't transfer into your bank. :whistling:

7. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Apr 9, 2017

with paypal, you are 100% safe!

8. bokbok Apr 9, 2017

Nothing 100% with PayPal if your the seller

9. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Apr 9, 2017

True,,,i just realized it after posting :)

10. bokbok Apr 9, 2017

PayPal always for the buyer great if your the buyer. Seller never protected

Spacefruit likes this.
  11. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Apr 9, 2017

thats totally unfair. The seller should get more no less protection than buyer. The seller spend more time in arranging the package,..etc and live in this un-relaxed moments till the items reaches safe. The buyer only pays and wait...

really PayPal should re=phrase their Seller's policy

12. blacktiger Apr 9, 2017

I thought that link was joke....I was wrong :D :O

levkov and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 9, 2017

I haven't seen it before Daniel, but if it smells like a phish, it's a fish.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 9, 2017

Yeah, I've now asked him 3 times where he is and where his supposed son is. No response! :cautious:

zimonyig likes this.
  15. imagwai Apr 9, 2017

This is a scam. He will send you an email that looks like it's come from Paypal saying payment has been made but funds will be released to you when the item has been shipped (they won't!). They only add the bit about wire transfer to make you think he's genuine, but they won't ever use that method.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2017

You haven't been sent a bag of dicks before :eek: you have got to try harder boy.....

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  17. photo500 Apr 9, 2017

The last bit about sending an email with the item number is their way of keeping track of all the scams they have running at the same time. I've had this one tried on me too. Didn't end up having to do anything, eBay blocked them for me.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  18. yande Apr 9, 2017

Not being an expert on Scams or anything.. But is their no way you can take payment, then wait an appropriate time for the funds to clear, be it days, weeks, months,, Before you send the watch? I've had sellers hold out for funds to clear before. Perhaps I am missing something. Unlike some here (lol) I am not an expert on scams.. All the best COm

19. WatchVaultNYC Apr 9, 2017

ask for a wire and be done with it. Make sure it's a wire not a bank deposit.

Oh and make sure your wire destination is a SAVINGS account, not a checking account. That way, they cannot pull the fake check scam on you.

20. imagwai Apr 9, 2017

Guys - trust me on this - they're not going to send you any real money! :)

Just Livin likes this.