Ebay´s over-reaction...

Posts
3,643
Likes
7,744
"Your message was blocked because it contains language that may be considered offensive. Please rephrase and try again."

This was the message I received from ebay when I tried to point out several wrong information in the listing of a glaringly put together Omega offered by a "vintage jeweller".

Here is my message I tried to forward:

Dear Jeff and Sullivan,

You state that the watch was all original - thats not correct.

The case is non-Omega from a third party as it lacks all the necessary markings.
The balance including it´s cock is far younger than the rest of the movement - this movement should have a cut bimetallic balance without shock protector.
The dial is reprinted. Wrong hands too.

kind regards

I tried several versions to outsmart the system until I found out the reason why my message did not make it through to the seller.
It was this phrase: "The balance including it´s cock..."

Isn´t this ririculous?
 
Posts
2,989
Likes
4,747
Yeah, I have run into the 'Balance cock' forfeiture as well. A lot of listings translate this to 'rooster.'
 
Posts
1,208
Likes
5,038
The pitfalls of automation and "AI". 😵‍💫
 
Posts
6,758
Likes
10,412
Just try mentioning the town of Scunthorpe in any institutional IT system with a standard language filter.....
 
Posts
8,128
Likes
36,633
I'd advise you to also avoid any mention of winding knobs, nipple dials and well used leather straps....
 
Posts
5,660
Likes
9,496
"Your message was blocked because it contains language that may be considered offensive. Please rephrase and try again."

This was the message I received from ebay when I tried to point out several wrong information in the listing of a glaringly put together Omega offered by a "vintage jeweller".

Here is my message I tried to forward:

Dear Jeff and Sullivan,

You state that the watch was all original - thats not correct.

The case is non-Omega from a third party as it lacks all the necessary markings.
The balance including it´s cock is far younger than the rest of the movement - this movement should have a cut bimetallic balance without shock protector.
The dial is reprinted. Wrong hands too.

kind regards

I tried several versions to outsmart the system until I found out the reason why my message did not make it through to the seller.
It was this phrase: "The balance including it´s cock..."

Isn´t this ririculous?

I had no idea and would have never expected from you, that you sexualize vintage watches with a balance of Cocks .... Mention " Fu*k " 20 times ; Drugs in any form and so on . Thats fine. But Cock ? Prudish AI .
 
Posts
232
Likes
577
Could you combine the words to “balancecock”. The seller probably won’t know the difference /meaning anywho.
 
Posts
8,244
Likes
29,118
Try this one, Erich, it should work. 😁

Could you please open the screw back case so that I can see the balance cock? If the case back happens to be too stiff, you could use one of those squishy balls to open it. Also, has the watch been serviced recently? I ask because I'd be concerned about a vintage Valgine that was poorly lubricated...

 
Posts
13,488
Likes
31,800
I suppose it would have been flagged if you had simply called it a piece of shit.
 
Posts
7,773
Likes
14,363
Can't use the word 'transitional', as in 'my car's six speed transitional gave out', on the Wall Street Journal's comment system. Can't use 'Wuhan flu' either, even though flus have usually been named after where they first appeared. But prohibited in this case. Much of it is automation and AI, but much of it is pure censorship.

EDIT: the word I typed above was NOT 'transitional', you can guess what it was but the OF system won't allow the word to be used, this silliness exists here on OF as well. Stupid rules exist everywhere, lest someone's feelings get hurt.
Edited:
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,074
Can't use the word 'transitional', as in 'my car's six speed transitional gave out', on the Wall Street Journal's comment system. Can't use 'Wuhan flu' either, even though flus have usually been named after where they first appeared. But prohibited in this case. Much of it is automation and AI, but much of it is pure censorship.

EDIT: the word I typed above was NOT 'transitional', you can guess what it was but the OF system won't allow the word to be used, this silliness exists here on OF as well. Stupid rules exist everywhere, lest someone's feelings get hurt.


Transmission? Not flagged that I can see.

COVID-19 is not influenza, and “Wuhan flu” is a deliberate attempt to be offensive IMO.
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,152
Transmission? Not flagged that I can see.

"transitional" ? Let's see.

OK now, Tee Rrrrr Ahhh Nnnn Nnnn Yeee.

After a couple of edits it's odd that the message stored as it comes back for editing still uses the original word.
 
Posts
7,773
Likes
14,363
COVID-19 is not influenza, and “Wuhan flu” is a deliberate attempt to be offensive IMO.
Either Covid-19 first surfaced in Wuhan, China or it didn't. Fact: It did. Not allowing that fact to be stated in referencing it is a deliberate attempt to mask it's origin, that's offensive in my view. But whatever.
 
Posts
197
Likes
162
Transmission? Not flagged that I can see.

COVID-19 is not influenza, and “Wuhan flu” is a deliberate attempt to be offensive IMO.
"Spanish flu", "West Nile virus" and "Lyme Disease" (named after Lyme, Connecticut, USA) were not considered offensive and are still used in medical literature. I wonder if it is because they were natural occurrences as opposed to something of a human error?
 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,074
Either Covid-19 first surfaced in Wuhan, China or it didn't. Fact: It did. Not allowing that fact to be stated in referencing it is a deliberate attempt to mask its origin, that's offensive in my view. But whatever.
To repeat, COVID-19 is not flu (influenza). And despite your halfhearted attempt to justify it with semantics, the underlying motivation to use the phrase "Wuhan flu" is clear to everyone. It's a well-known dog-whistle, pure and simple.

"Spanish flu", "West Nile virus" and "Lyme Disease" (named after Lyme, Connecticut, USA) were not considered offensive and are still used in medical literature.
Yes, but Wuhan Flu was not the official name given to the SARS-CoV-2 strain called COVID-19, which is not influenza. The name was coined by a particular politician for a political purpose, and used by the followers of that politician as thinly veiled xenophobia. And the phrase served its purpose in inciting violence against Chinese-Americans.
Edited: