Forums Latest Members
  1. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 12, 2014

Hi all,

I'm hoping you guys can help me understand the Ebay return process a bit better, seeing as many of you use Ebay on a daily basis to purchase watches.

The situation is that I recently sold an iPhone on Ebay, and a month after receiving it, the buyer wants to return it due to the phone's incompatibility with his carrier. I obliged, seeing as the buyer seems like a nice guy, but because this is my very first sale as well as return, I'm not quite sure of how to go about. The buyer also seems to be a new user on Ebay, and he suggested mailing it back to me with a C.O.D. Due to the overwhelming amounts of horror stories about Ebay transactions and my inexperience with C.O.D. shipping, I can't help but feel hesitant to do this.

Can you guys give your input on the C.O.D. shipping plan? Am I allowed to inspect the item first? Wouldn't this require me to wait at home for the item to come, which I cannot do on a weekday due to work?

Also, is there a more legitimate/documented way of doing returns with Ebay? Can the buyer just file a return through Ebay and have paypal/ebay hold onto the money while the item is being returned? Does Ebay keep the 10% selling fee they took from me?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm extremely inexperienced with Ebay transactions.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Alex

2. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

I thought it was the buyer's responsibility to pay return shipping.

3. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 12, 2014

A month? Hahahahahahahahhahaa.

4. everestx Jan 12, 2014

Whoever pays the return shipping charges will be noted in your original listing. If you're paying the return shipping the buyer just has to click on their order details and select return item. They will be prompted to print out a shipping label and you will be charged for the return shipping charges once you issue a refund.

If the buyer is paying the return charges they have to prove they shipped the item back to you and I definitely wouldn't allow a C.O.D. After you receive and inspect the item you will refund their purchase and then be credited back your final valuation fees.

You are very generous for allowing a buyer to return an item after 30 days.

heman likes this.
  5. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 12, 2014

From reading the Ebay policies, I believe the return shipping is the buyer's responsibility. I just need to refund the purchase price + initial shipping cost?

Yeah, that's why I'm a bit skeptical. I didn't want to point that out to start all confrontational so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He must have had a good holiday haha

I think I'll just point him towards the resolution center and tell him to open up a case? seems like the most fair thing to do

6. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 12, 2014

Ah thanks for the details. It seems like the buyer should be paying the return charges. I'll ask him not to do a C.O.D. then.

Yeah, I'm just really busy with work so I don't want to deal with any future hassles/complaints. Too many daily stressors already

Thanks for the help! :)

[edit] just sent an email to him. hopefully this situation will all be over!

7. Tritium Jan 12, 2014

Hi Heman,

Did you sell the phone as unlocked?
    Was it supposed to be compatible with all carriers?
    Is the buyer from your same country?

8. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

No, you shouldn't have to refund the initial shipping cost either - just the purchase price.

If it was your mistake that caused the return, then it would be good to refund the buyer's money for both purchase and initial shipping.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

DO NOT accept a COD, you don't know what is in the package and the buyer will use acceptance as proof of return. Leaves you open to fraud.

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2014

Buyer pays return shipping and is responsible for getting it back to you in the condition it was when you sent it.

Absolutely do not even discuss COD.

Upon receipt of the phone back you can inspect it and decide if it is as sent. Refund should be made by PayPal assuming that is how it was paid for.

Once you have given the refund, then you may file a transaction cancellation with eBay, they will credit your fees back to your account.

Out of curiosity, did you and the buyer exchange feedback after the sale?

11. everestx Jan 12, 2014

Good point about feedback. If the buyer has left you positive feedback then your obligation has changed somewhat.

12. Tritium Jan 12, 2014

Just curious:
    In the case a buyer leaves positive feedback, and then find something´s wrong.
    Is he loosing any rights because of leaving the positive before opening a case in the resolution center?

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2014

The short answer is no.

14. everestx Jan 12, 2014

Ultimately eBay will decide on a case by case basis based on the timing and facts so it's not black and white.

I think all buyers have to use due diligence inspecting their purchase before leaving positive feedback. I know eBay is suggesting sellers to extend their return policies to 30 days which I won't due as I think 14 days is plenty on a used watch or other item.

I have a 14 day no questions asked return policy and treat buyers like I want to be treated. I have refunded a buyer after four months of purchasing an item from me but that isn't the norm.

Tritium likes this.