Forums Latest Members

eBay purchase. Am I complaining unnecessarily? One year update.

1. Gaz6263 Dec 28, 2015

Bought this a couple of weeks ago. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960s-RAR...xGRRWxYYkG1KAInBZl99c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Unfortunately when it arrived the chrono hand didn't sit at 12 o'clock and the date wasn't centred in the window, they were both slightly to the right of centre. Also the chrono return button was very sticky and unless pushed very gently it will stick in.
    The seller thinks I'm making a fuss. As its a vintage watch l should expect some problems.
    Am I expecting to much?

2. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Dec 28, 2015

I guess the seller should have mentioned this.
    However does this problem indicate there are issues with the movement beyond that which a service would remedy? Or would it have stopped you bidding or reduced your bid if you had of known?

3. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Dec 28, 2015

When you look at the seller's photos, you can see that the chrono hand wasn't sitting at 12:00. Its close, but not quite there.
    Was anything grossly misrepresented?
    From the listing "All sales are final. Unless we have made an error in our listing, and the watch is grossly misrepresented."

blubarb likes this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 28, 2015

Do you think the seller knew of the issues and neglected to mention them? I did notice a poor redial sold as original in his sales history.
    What redress would you be happy with?

5. JohnSteed Dec 28, 2015

Hi Pete

Yeah, you're making a fuss but not a huge fuss ;) but seller may claim it was disclosed.

So I guess ... Whatever you can workout with seller ... But it looks good generally, and you could get an opinion from @photo500 to see exactly what your looking at in terms of possibility and cost to fix issues under the hood?

Cheers
    Spencer

blubarb likes this.
  6. Gaz6263 Dec 28, 2015

While I'd agree that the date and chrono hand could have become slightly knocked off centre in transit. The sticky chrono button would have probably already been like it, would have liked to see it mentioned. As a whole, the watch when serviced, will be nice as you don't seam to see to many of these about.
    As far as redress goes, I mentioned the problems to the seller more in hope than expectation.

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 28, 2015

Fair enough, and I failed to mention previously that it is a sweeeeeeet looking watch, do like the date at 12, even if a little off centre ;)

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 28, 2015

As noted the chrono hand is clearly off in the auction photos, so that was something pretty obvious. There are no claims about any recent service, so in my view you would be expected to get one done when the watch is bought. These are typical problems with an old chronograph, so I would not consider the issues you mention to be serious at all.

Cheers, Al

9. vinn2 Dec 28, 2015

I am amazed. the pitfalls of dealing with "the bay". we are lucky to have the advice of mr. Archer!

driver1969 likes this.
  10. Gaz6263 Dec 28, 2015

Fair comment. Just mentioned would have been nice.
    I'll post some pics after its been serviced :thumbsup:

11. bristnj Dec 28, 2015

I agree with Al. When I buy a piece, I always assume that its going to need a full service (COA with new main spring) and figure about $275 (chrono) additional will be needed for that. Most of the eBay sellers are flipping watches and have no idea of the history or service on any given piece. Generally the only time I don't service is if there are photo's of the movement in pieces so I know it's not simply been through a "French Dip". Looks like price you paid is fair and you would still be ahead of the game after service if you ever decided to sell. It's a sweet piece. I would get it serviced w/new crystal and you'll be head over heels with it! Jeff

Service Pic Example:
    [​IMG]

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 28, 2015

Sometimes when I see pics like this I wonder if I am the only person on earth that actually fully disassembles a watch for cleaning...drives me nuts! Sorry...watchmaker rant over...

::rant:

ChrisN likes this.
  13. bristnj Dec 28, 2015

Here is a pic of pushers that have not been cleaned in some time. As you can see, the "gunk" that builds-up on the springs and under the caps can really impact their performance.
    [​IMG]

14. bristnj Dec 28, 2015

Al - just a quick example picture that I had on file. The picture is one of many in process of being put back together. Watch was completely disassembled, including balance, bridge, jewels, etc. I'm not a watchmaker, but my watchmaker has 30 years experience, including working for Omega here in the states. I know your excellent reputation and even have a watch that you did (along w/your documentation CD) that I bought from a member and you and I consulted on. Very, very impressive.

I agree with you, a good watchmaker should completely disassemble and document the process. Best - Jeff

15. danomar Dec 28, 2015

Plus two. For the price you paid, a service would be, in my mind, a given.

16. novina Dec 28, 2015

I for one, never expect an EBAY seller to disclose everything. I do my due diligence if possible and realize that a service will be required when the watch is received. I actually have 3 vintage watches waiting for the funds to be serviced before they are used(2 year olds take up both time and money). But I knew this going in. As many here can see, I am new to this game. But I have enough experience on EBAY that I personally have become jaded to what is said in any description. Hope for the best, expect the worst. I also see how returns are handled, if they are that is. Good indication of any recourse you may have. Read the entire listing and than process it carefully. If you bid, you are accepting their conditions for the sale.
    You have a beautiful watch there. Listen to what the wealth of knowledgeable people here have already said. I can tell you and I am sure you know, that they do not pull punches and give you the truth. If they had said bad deal, than I would be worried. But no one did. Service it and hopefully all your issues will go away. You will than have a very nice watch to wear.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 28, 2015

I get asked about service on eBay watches all the time - just answered an email on this subject a few minutes ago. I always tell people to count on doing a service when they bid on the watch. If it turns out the watch doesn't actually need it, then consider that a bonus. Thinking that a vintage piece will not need service (no matter what the seller says) will almost always lead to disappointment.

Given that this seller didn't even claim the watch was serviced in this case, it was pretty much guaranteed to be one that I would have counted on servicing when it came in.

PatrickJ and Huus like this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Dec 28, 2015

Exactly this.

I'm picking up a chronograph on Thursday, which the (eBay) seller stated has been fully serviced... He has zero paperwork to back this up... And it's wearing 2 incorrect hands. So I'm treating it as a 1970 watch that needs an overhaul.

19. PatrickJ Dec 28, 2015

Lovely watch. Service will put it correct.

Gaz6263 likes this.
  20. Huus Dec 28, 2015

This is a condition I have set myself when buying pre owned and no service was done (recently). Regardless of website, dealer or private seller. And in several cases proved to be the right approach as issues came to light on inspection not detectable on the pictures or not mentioned in the description. Returning is difficult as I live in Australia and import duties are paid. It also gives peace of mind to have a 2 year (Omega) warranty that comes with a full service. The service documentation is also proof of the watch being genuine and in case one needs to sell becomes a major advantage point.
    Regards.