Forums Latest Members
  1. fierykevbo Apr 3, 2014

I want to start by saying I'm not familiar with the art Omega collecting, but I really like the looks of the old Seamasters. I was browsing ebay watch looked nice I bought it for $300. Then I found this forum and realized I should have done more homework before buying my first Omega.
    Seller represented it as "!950's era Omega Seamaster automatic watch. Good condition and runs well. Silver case." That was the full description.
    So I guess my questions are did he misrepresent the watch, is it authentic, or a franken? Should I ask for a refund? My objective is just to have a nice collectible good running stylish vintage Seamaster for everyday wear. I've included photographs, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

DSCF2552.JPG DSCF2556.JPG DSCF2557.JPG DSCF2554.JPG DSCF2546.JPG
  2. fjf Apr 3, 2014

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 3, 2014

The dial is refinished and the case is stainless steel, not silver.
    It also appears to have the wrong movement. This model should also have a date function and house the 562 movement. So i think you might have a franken watch. Given all these factors, this is not a collectable watch. If you like it and plan to wear it, then you may want to keep it since you paid around what it may be worth in parts. Otherwise send it back.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 3, 2014

Actually from ca 1966 and as noted already this reference should contain a caliber 562 movement with date.

The dial has been refinished in a style unlike anything Omega would have offered for this reference, or any other for that matter.

Even with the vague description given by the seller you should have grounds for returning the watch.

I'd send it back and look for a correct one, there is no upside to this one.

cristos71 likes this.
  5. Mothra Apr 3, 2014

Imho, if you keep it and hang out here at all its 'wrongness' will eat away at you. Can you afford another $100-$150 to get one with the right parts and a nice original dial?

6. fierykevbo Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for all the help. After the responses and reading more, I think I would be happier with one in worse condition that had all original parts. Since I'm new to the Omega thing what would be a good model, Cal. to hone in on? Maybe $700 or less. Would love to get on with numbers on the dial.

7. dan7800 Apr 3, 2014

keep an eye out on Ebay, I think you can do fine for $700. Just my newb 2 cents.