Forums Latest Members

Ebay.......Omega Speedmaster Transitional 145022 68 ST Cal 861

1. Banner Roar Mar 17, 2016

All, seen this come on ebay today....

Has anyone done business with this seller
    cnivelle
    (248Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network [​IMG])

Have swapped a few emails to get some chat going and for more information. He contradicts some of the information that is on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182056656725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

BlueBoy and Spacefruit like this.
  2. igatomic Mar 17, 2016

Why is there a picture of a service bezel, and not the beat up DON in the listing? Is the band a newer replacement? Frankly, given the condition of the hands, the inclusion of the bezel or not, and the incorrect band, isn't this a tad pricey?

3. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Mar 17, 2016

I don't really like the patina of the dial

4. cristos71 Mar 17, 2016

The case and movement look alright, but the dial hands and bezel are unattractive to me and the bracelet which has non original ends has negligible appeal or worth. You certainly wouldn't catch me throwing 5K at it either :eek:

5. Banner Roar Mar 17, 2016

It sure looks like it has had a hard life up to now. :thumbsdown:

red crowned likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2016

You could PM the seller here, he is a member and native French speaker.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 17, 2016

I've seen worse for more. Nice pics imho.

8. MK1965 Mar 17, 2016

Must admit that the various Speedmaster varieties and pitfalls completely baffle me, but did buy a Seamaster De Ville off this seller last year - good service and a reasonablish price.

9. vincereynard Mar 17, 2016

I have also dealt with Cyril and found his straight.

Maybe a bit pricey, but he is a dealer so better than some.

What's wrong with the hands and / or dial on this? I've seen other battered, more expensive, examples that posters seem to be salivating over. As mentioned above, all this "speedy" stuff is a mystery to me.

Edited Mar 18, 2016
  10. misterticker Mar 18, 2016

I love theese beat up Speedies! 50 years of blood and tears - no hiding in a vault somewhere. Maybe a bit pricey, but original(?) bracelet is always a sexy thing.

11. avwatches Mar 18, 2016

Dear All

I've been following this discussion with some amusement. My English wife already abuses me enough for my thick French accent so I don't need more criticism. I am a sensitive Frenchman living in a foreign country.

The real issue in the discussion is about the bezel. Perhaps I was not clear enough. The watch comes with BOTH the original bezel with the don 90 AND a serviced new bezel. I can mount whichever the buyer prefers AND include the other bezel for back up. The vintage original bezel alone can sell for £500+ and the Omega servicing bezel is new and costs significantly less. One cannot make everyone happy. Either you prefer a totally reconditioned watch which loses it's vintage appeal or you appreciated the naturally worn look of a vintage watch.

The 2nd issue in the discussion is about the lume (luminosity)of the hands and dial batons. I have chosen to keep the original tritium components. Some prefer re-lumed details. I personally prefer to leave this modernisation to the buyer. I can point them in the right direction.

Bear in mind that I do my best with photography but am not a photographer! Sometimes, you have to see the watch in person to decide whether or not you like it. It's all a matter of taste - like and wine and women.

Thirdly, there have been comments about the bracelet. This is an original Omega bracelet but a newer model than the original. We do not buy vintage watches from a factory. As you can imagine, each has its own history over 50-70 years.

Lastly, as a registered VAT company, I feel that our prices are fair and service, guarantees, etc. far exceed what one will get from other retailers.

Feel free to PM me.

Kind regards
    Cyril

danomar, flame, gminnj and 4 others like this.
  12. cwindham Mar 18, 2016

I dont see anything wrong with it and the bezel currently on there has a nice look to it. Worn and shows its age.
    The dial is similar to my speedy, has some dark areas on the original tritium but its a watch that shows age. If you want a new looking speedmaster then buy a new speedmaster, not a 69.
    Excellent watch my friend. It is a bit pricy for me as i only paid several hundred dollars for mine. I got lucky, very lucky!

13. Just Livin Apr 12, 2016

Happy to say that I dealt with Cyril re this watch. Found him to be excellent and very knowledgable. As ever the watch looks different in the real light of day than on photos. The bezel better than most I had seen of that age. Hands and face looked genuine.
    Expensive I guess is a relative term.
    Spent some time looking and trying to find a genuine transitonal watch. Many I saw claimed to be but their definition was incorrect.
    So happy to be wearing

sky21 and Baz9614 like this.
  14. sky21 Apr 12, 2016

I think you made a pretty good purchase. You got 2 bezels, a recent service, and a 12 month warranty for that price. That's pretty good in this market.

15. Just Livin Apr 12, 2016

Hey thanks, and he was good enough to move on the price which helped too. This market right now seems crazy. Have been looking into Ed Whites recently. My next project. But wow!

Atalien2005 likes this.
  16. sky21 Apr 13, 2016

Wow indeed, good luck with that project. You're going to need very deep pockets for that one these days!!

17. Just Livin Apr 13, 2016

Yep. I notice a nice one that just popped up on here in auction. Seems very authentic. And indeed requires deep pockets to play in this arena:) Considering it though.

sky21 likes this.