Forums Latest Members

eBay international Shipping Charges (Shipping global program)

1. dragoman Jan 29, 2016

FYI, the bids currently stand at 409 USD, to which the shipping global program adds a whopping 161 USD (42 USD for shipping and 119 USD for import fees).

If that is not enough to deter bids from abroad, the system is actively blocking me from bidding (I am from Spain), mentioning some "Seller shipping restrictions, country specific import/export or other relevant restrictions."

Frankly, the global shipping program is the best possible way to restrict sales to the US.

2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 29, 2016

It seems to me the import fees are added by your country's import tarifs, which is not ebay's fault...

3. jimdgreat1 Jan 29, 2016

Not sure I should like this. :whistling:

4. JM251 Jan 29, 2016

Wow, did not realize by selecting int'l shipment I was automatically swept into this unpalatable monstrosity ebay calls "global shipping program." With just over 24 hrs to go it is of course too late to opt out. Have good mind to end the listing but realize ignorance is no excuse and hate to snub current bidders so will let it ride. Should have done the DD here. My fault folks. :whipped:

JohnSteed, Mothra and dragoman like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

Live and Learn :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. JM251 Jan 29, 2016

For what it's worth, just got off phone with ebay. Upon auction end highest bidder can opt out of global shipping program by requesting total from me. They pay winning bid. I ship direct. Eliminates up front tariff and shipping charge :thumbsup:

7. JM251 Jan 29, 2016

Sorry folks, had to discontinue my omega waffle 2736 eBay auction. Reason being I've had 3 int'l bidders message me this eve stating that eBay has rejected their bids. So called eBay again, they claim my account settings are correct for accepting int'l bidders and problem most likely on the bidders end. ::confused2::

8. Illiknight Jan 29, 2016

I was actually the cancelled high bid at the time you just ended it... [emoji19]

9. dragoman Jan 30, 2016

It should be like that (and then the problem would be that with that system I would have to pay import tarifs in every article I bought abroad, while if you leave it to the post office you only have to pay tarifs in one out of ten), but it is worse.

Pitney Bowes opens the parcels, removes what they consider excess packaging, consolidate all merchandise, send it to a logistic centre somewhere in UK, and from there they distribute it to Europe.

I don't receive a single piece of paperwork stating that I have paid the relevant tarif (VAT in my case), probably because I haven't. In every other instance I have had to pay tariffs, I have eventually received the official paperwork and the relevant receipts.

Not to mention the fact that if we (foreigners) are blocked out of the bid, we can hardly buy the watch (and sellers [and ebay, come to think of it] are left without our bids).

Predictably, at buyers' end, ebay says restrictions are probably imposed by the seller.

10. Noisy Nova Jan 30, 2016

If an ebay auction says "Customs services and international tracking provided", I ignore that particular auction.

Spacefruit, JohnSteed and Northernman like this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 30, 2016

From what I found out, eBay's shipping service thinks that all watch companies place the same restrictions as Rolex.

A while back, I was trying to buy an Omega part and the seller would sell to the UK. When I hit the BIN button, eBay informed me that the item could not be sent to the UK. :confused:

My other experience was when I bought a watch tool (can't remember what it was) and it was below the value at which tax is applied but eBay's system added a massive import duty, way in excess of what it would have been, even if it was applicable.

Like @Noisy Nova , I either run a mile if I see the eBay service in action or ask someone in that country to bid on it for me and then send it to me the usual way.

12. cristos71 Jan 30, 2016

Yes, that´s standard practice for me too, it doesn´t matter what it is either, it´s just not worth the hassle.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 30, 2016

Are you planning on relisting it, or just sell it here?
    gatorcpa

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 30, 2016

Received a nice chronograph. All original wrapping removed, bouncing about in a small cardboard box with a few styrofoam chips. eBay shipping program? My ass!!
    Never again.
    If I see a seller posting with that then I walk away. Actually it's more like running.
    Never again.

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 30, 2016

I think many sellers don't have any idea what it is and Ebay sells them on the idea that it's best and more convenient.
    Sometimes they don't even realize they have opted for it.
    Everytime I've seen it on a watch I wanted, I successfully negotiated with the seller to remove it and the sellers had no problem with it when I explained it's a deal breaker.

bluefireblade and Northernman like this.
  16. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Global shipping is a ball ache.... Bought something stateside and there was no need for duties but it got caught due to GS!

bluefireblade likes this.
  17. bluefireblade Jan 31, 2016

I used to regularly purchase watches from US sellers, and have often paid import duties etc depending on the value of the item (I'm in Australia), since global shipping has come into effect, shipping from the US to AU has at least doubled in cost of shipping, and length of time it takes to receive items, and on one occasion I was charged import duties twice as the Aus customs never received what Pitney Bowes "collected"! If a seller ships with global shipping I usually ask for another method if its something I really want, or refrain from bidding.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 31, 2016

Was going to buy some vintage Belt-buckles 3x for $9.99 would have been $42 and $29 US in shipping and import duties. WTF

19. Tubber Jan 31, 2016

Hopefully selling on here?

20. lillatroll Jan 31, 2016

I bought a watch through the global shipping program. There was a buy it now price that I was happy with, I emailed the seller and told them that I would be happy to pay the buy it now price but with 120 dollars shipping and import extras it was too much, they accepted 120 dollars less for the watch so I bought it. I doubt it is common practice but I was happy with the deal.