Forums Latest Members

eBay Germany Ultra-Chron received, but.... it doesn't run!

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 18, 2015

Since this one was discussed briefly here, I thought I'd update the acquisition:

I bought this nice-looking 8071 on eBay Germany. But when I wound it (to heavy resistance) about 15 revolutions, it only ran for about 2 hours, losing 10 minutes during the first hour. The seller had told me it keeps time within 1 minute/day...

image.jpg

I opened the back since it also sounded as if the rotor might be rubbing, but I saw no scuffs on the caseback, nor problems with the winding mechanism to my amateur eye...

I plan to message the seller back via eBay mail, for the next plan of action. Luckily, I paid via PayPal/MasterCard by my insistence prior to purchase!

If he offers enough cash back, I may just get it serviced, but I'm guessing this will end up being a return :(...

image.jpg
    Edited Feb 18, 2015
  2. bmd64v46u Feb 19, 2015

You've been having some bad luck lately. Sorry to hear it.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 19, 2015

Thanks, but that's what's gonna happen when you go on an eBay buying binge :confused: like I did after the Speedie EW FooPaah !...

So far, I'm 1 for two, with the 3rd purchase yet to make it ashore... the $100 Revue was in great condition when I received it, with timekeeping within 2 sec/day for 3 days; not bad for one described as only 'Running' :cool:, and just as pretty as the pics:

[​IMG]

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 20, 2015

Every time you ship a watch around the world things can happen. You need to take it to a watchmaker and get it looked at.

To many now days are not factoring in a service.

People on EBay Lie

So for anything that does not come with a receipt of service recently and just a ( keeps time within 1 minute/day )
    Haggle the service price before you buy it.

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 20, 2015

It's in my pocket on the way there, now, even though I still haven't heard from the seller (36 hours).

I service all of my newly acquired vintage watches if I plan on keeping them for awhile. I hadn't decided if this one would be a 'keeper'. This one was just in worse 'running' order than I had expected, based on his ad. Hopefully, I will know a little something later this morning.

STANDY likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 20, 2015

A nice watch by the way. ( you done well to get something out of Germany lately)

More for others to learn from @dougiedude

Several posts lately with a similar issue

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 20, 2015

Thanks. I need to get some better pictures, as the first one does it no justice whatsoever...

8. khmt2 Feb 20, 2015

Sorry to hear about it, especially since I was the enabler. Like @STANDY said, experience has taught me to always factor in a service fee into my bids. Should be an inexpensive service nonetheless, hope u do get a partial refund.

dougiedude and STANDY like this.
  9. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2015

A watchmaker picks up the phone one day......

Caller: "Are your watches running?"

Watchmaker: "Sure, most of them are running right now."

Caller: "WELL YOU BETTER GO CATCH THEM!!!!"

*click*

Northernman and dougiedude like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 20, 2015

I bet you still have Prince Albert in the can, too!;)
    gatorcpa

ulackfocus likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2015

..... and 16 pound balls. :D

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 20, 2015

Took these just before the watchmaker opened it:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

....after a quick peek, he said there is a hairspring alignment issue, and wasn't sure if it might need to be replaced, and he plans to look at it in more detail and get back to me Monday. He also says the movement is dry, but that is no surprise!

Edited Feb 20, 2015
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 20, 2015

That's all I use on Tuesdays:

Not me, but you get the idea...
    gatorcpa

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 16, 2015

Update: My Ultra-Chron cal 431 from Germany still does not run :(.

My watchmaker says I'd be best off getting a replacement 431 in good running condition (like the seller had said this one would be :confused:), as this one has major issues. The eBay Germany seller, sammleruhren-online, did send me $90 as compensation. Upon looking closer at his feedback, it appears I was not the first buyer to have an issue with one of his 'running' watches... lesson learned!

Nevertheless, I have been on the lookout for a good cal 431 replacement.:whistling:

Edited Jun 16, 2015
  15. khmt2 Jun 16, 2015

Man, this sucks, sorry for putting u onto a dud! :( I've got a few 431s on my watch list, check your pm. ;)

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 16, 2015

No worries, man. I don't think it should be too hard to find a movement. I really like the dial and caseback on this one, otherwise I would probably sell it 'as is'...

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2015

It does look good, probably not too hard to find a poor condition aesthetically example and shanghai its movement

18. Geo! Jun 16, 2015

Surely your watchmaker must have told you what the problem was that he couldn't repair? What does major issues mean?

19. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2015

If you ever want to sell it, you know who to PM. ;) I'm no stranger to project watches, and the condition of that one would make it worth it - even though I suspect it might cost more than the watch is worth.

dougiedude likes this.
  20. erpin9 Jun 16, 2015

That's one killer dial.

dougiedude likes this.