Forums Latest Members
  1. MKelley Oct 8, 2012

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

I know this isn't an issue with the watch per se, just what I like, but I don't seem to like dials with Arabic or Roman numbers - they clutter the dial. I prefer batons, arrows, etc. keeps the dial cleaner.

3. MKelley Oct 8, 2012

Thanks for putting that out there. I think most everyone here have a preference of, different types (ie. Constellation vs Seamaster etc), dials (ie. clean vs patina) etc. Myself, I'm all into affordable, not flashy, just nice to look at.

4. MKelley Oct 8, 2012

Did I write affordable? Make that cheap.:D

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

Hi,
    Another mystery from me (but probably not from the experts);
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271074161919#ht_1618wt_1344Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    The terrible caseback shot shows 5 numbers, starting with a 3??? I can't find any watches with a 501 starting with a 3! I've seen in a couple of places (but not bookmarked) a chart that tells you how the model number is worked out (ie. first number indicates if COSC or not, etc, etc).
    Any ideas/views on this watch?
    Daniel

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

You can ignore those charts for this watch. I think this is either a factory replacement case or some other type of "national production" model. There were many countries in which the local Omega distributors used their own reference numbers for certain lower end watches. It is odd, in that we generally don't see non-Swiss made steel cases on Omegas, but I suppose anything is possible.

Since the watch is in Australia, could it be that there were protectionist customs laws there in the 1950's that would have made it more profitable for cases to be locally produced? This was true in the US and UK at that time, particularly with gold watch cases.

I have to go on the assumption that the case is real and Omega sanctioned, as I just wouldn't see the point of counterfeiting a steel case like that for a watch of relatively little value.

If this were a high value Seamaster 300 or Speedmaster, I'd say stay away. For this watch, if the price stays under $300, it might be worth it because of the original dial.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

Yep, Australia had very high tariffs in the 1950s, in particular to help our steel industry. So that would make sense.

I've often assumed that cheap watches are unlikely to be faked. I really like the waffle/honeycomb/guilloche dials, so if it goes cheap I'll be all over it.

8. MKelley Oct 8, 2012

Good Luck:thumbsup:

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2012

More detail from the seller:

Case serial number is 99289 and movement serial number is 16084803.

- phoenixtime

So certainly a local production case. Is there any way to track these down? What does this do for collectibility?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 8, 2012

You'd need to find a contemporary Aussie Omega catalog, or another watch with that exact caseback. Lots of luck on that one.

Certainly doesn't help, so this one makes sense only if cheap.
    gatorcpa

11. alam Oct 9, 2012

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 9, 2012

It's a seamaster and not a Ranchero. Dial looks original from the pictures - I would say somewhere in the $500-700 range or less than half of what it would be were it a Ranchero.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 9, 2012

Movement is correct for the case reference. I can't tell if the dial is original or refinished. It is possible that this watch was a Ranchero at one point and someone redid the dial to say Seamaster a long time ago, before Rancheros were considered collectible.

It is also possible that it was always a Seamaster dial. The Ranchero name wasn't used in every country.

You'd need to see the watch in person to be sure.
    gatorcpa

14. alam Oct 9, 2012

Thanks - well, the bids rapidly kicked in pushing it away from my comfort zone :D

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2012

You have one of those ::confused2:: .... Dennis told me he expunged it :rolleyes:

16. alam Oct 9, 2012

Is relative - it takes a bit more than a Seamaster on a Ranchero case :whistling:

17. alam Oct 9, 2012

Did we see this one around here before? I remember seeing one posting of a watch with a blue second hand but not sure if it was this one. Eight offers on the books, anyone here trying to pull this one? Very nice I may add...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_7834wt_1165Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

18. MKelley Oct 9, 2012

Looks familiar. I'm NOT in it to win it:D

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2012

No, that was different watch and a 352 Chronometer. I have never seen one of these with a blue hand before.

20. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 9, 2012

Nice watch, but price is a little high for what it is IMO. Case has been polished down a bit. I'm not sure if the second hand is original either.