Forums Latest Members
  1. eustace Apr 16, 2014

Is anyone here familiar with the eBay feedback policies? I bid, I won, I paid promptly. I asked the seller to leave positive feedback if they deemed it was appropriate. Instead, they said they would defer until I receive the item and leave them feedback first.

Thoughts?

2. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2014

That's pretty common. There's a variety of reasons they might do that, but mostly they want to make sure you don't return the item.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 16, 2014

They don't even have the option of leaving you negative feedback, so don't worry about it.

The reason they aren't leaving feedback yet though is that once one has left positive feedback (either seller or buyer) it eliminates any recourse one might have to open a case. IN practical terms, it is relatively rare that a seller has to open a case, so many of them make it a practice to leave positive feedback once the item is paid for.

May I ask why you care? Once you are beyond about ten positive feedbacks as a buyer, they become somewhat superfluous I think.

4. eustace Apr 16, 2014

Hi, thanks for responding.

Actually, I've purchased a decent number of items recently, and I've simply forgotten to give feedback (and thus, it seems, received no feedback in return).

I found myself with some time to spare this afternoon, and sent a message to my most recent seller. Their response, while courteous, seemed too tit for tat --- we'll wait for your response before sending ours. It just didn't sit well with me.

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 16, 2014

If you've been forgetting to leave people feedback, it's an understandable reaction from the sellers. They doubtless feel the same irritation you do that feedback hasn't been left on your transactions.

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. eustace Apr 16, 2014

Highly unlikely that this seller would know that I forgot to leave feedback for a previous transaction. I guess anything is possible.

7. JohnSteed Apr 16, 2014

Think the feedback feature is built in So a person can tell if his/hers has increased for each transaction.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2014

As both a buyer and seller I had mixed feelings when eBay took away the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback, it was a very rare case, but when a buyer deserved it they got it.

Now I leave feedback upon payment, that's the buyer's reward as it were, for doing what they're supposed to do, its up to me (the seller) to earn my positive feedback by promptly shipping a good product.

Sellers receive feedback once they have left it for me, if they can't be bothered why should I, regardless of how they performed.

I never ask for feedback, as a buyer or seller, period.

JohnSteed likes this.