Forums Latest Members

Ebay Fake Or Legit? 2531.80 Seamaster

1. RichSines Jun 9, 2013

Hi- first post.

After many years, my wife finally has "let" me pull the trigger on a real watch. I've always liked the Omega Seamaster. The 2531.80 is perfect for my price point. I've been trying to get one on eBay for a few days. There are some good ones, and then there is this one: Mens Full Size Omega Seamaster 300M Auotmatic James Bond | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am having bidders remorse. The fuzzy photos are all suspect, but it's the specific one of the movement that has been nervous. Am I worrying about nothing or have I entered a contract for a knockoff? I guess it isn't good I am paying to be outbid.

Thanks,
    Richard

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 9, 2013

Looks fine, the intact serial number on the lug is a very good sign and the movement looks correct.

RichSines likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

It looks okay from those pictures.

Remember, you haven't own it yet.

RichSines likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

One thing for sure, the counterfeiter has not been able to copy Omega movement, even the ubiquitous 1120 derived from ETA 2892.
    So it is original. If you get below USD 1400 it is a decent deal. This model has high demand, you wouldn't have problem to flip it with minimal loss, if you decide you didn't like it at the end.

RichSines likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Its the real deal, at least the pictures of it are, it has been polished by the looks but the 2531.80 is a remarkably tough and resilient watch.

Make sure you use paypal for the transaction as the seller is only 19 feedback, safety first.

RichSines likes this.
  6. RichSines Jun 9, 2013

I appreciate all of the input. I ended up winning it for $1,300. I'll post pictures when it comes in. would you recommend I take it to an AD for confirmation?

Not looking to flip it, just looking forward to finally enjoying a nice watch.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Post pics here when you get it, we see more Omegas than most ADs anyway lol

8. yande Jun 9, 2013

I'm always dubious when Ebay sellers show pics with the case back removed, as Water Resistance could be compromised if the case back is not installed properly, not to mention dust, finger prints etc. Though looking at this seller's previous sales, hopefully they know what they are doing. You may wish to ask them if the seals were replaced and their thoughts on WR, otherwise a service may be warranted,, though not necessarily with Omega. (I wouldn't)
    That's a good price, though perhaps as stated earlier, it may be a bit shiny where it shouldn't be, and I perhaps think the blurry photos and somewhat brief (and for me, confusing) description ("near balance vax 73?") affected this result.

Congratulations on not only your first Omega, but a great all rounder and really hope it works out as you hope. Be sure to keep us posted.
    In the mean time, here is a pic of mine...

OmegaSeamaster253180_IMG_0894.jpg

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

I agree with Yande. Since you do not know the history of the watch, find a good watchmaker near your place or among watchmaker experts in here (Archer or NH2FL), and spend a bit more for full service + waterproofing. You will have 5 to 10 years good time enjoying it without worry that you will damage the movement or get water inside.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2013

Nice catch, and don't worry about what those whackers on WUSOF tell you, HERE is where you get the good gen ;-)

Central Scrutinizer and NT931 like this.
  11. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2013

I think you did well to get it at that price. As mentioned, since a little more money into with a watchmaker it to guarantee it's up to snuff. Nice snag!

12. RichSines Jun 10, 2013

Here is the quote I got from the seller:

Dear rsines,

I serviced the watch. The seal did not need to be replaced. I don't waterproof any watches. That would be the only thing if you want to get the piece waterproof. Otherwise it's in excellent condition.
    Louis

- louismartin982a1watchandclockrepair Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2013

Pardon me for saying, but I'm very skeptical of any watch sold on eBay being properly serviced let alone serviced even in a half-ass fashion.

..... and a new gasket plus testing for water resistance is part of a normal service on a watch like that.

14. RichSines Jun 10, 2013

What should I budget to get this watch properly serviced? I found a local AD that seems to have good reviews M P Demete. The son Pete is active on the interwebs. Other choice may be to send to Nesbits (after searching these boards). I'd be okay spending $250 to get be in tip top shape. I'd be disappointed dropping $350+. But it is what it is.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 10, 2013

where are you living, probably some members here could give you their referral

16. RichSines Jun 14, 2013

Watch came in today. I immediately took it to Pete Demetre for authentication. Looks like I've got a winner. He took the back off the case to look at the movement. Peter set the time for me and said he could send it to Omega for a full restoration for about $400. Ouch. He did confirm it was over polished, but correctable.

Overall I am thrilled to be part of the club.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaguar11 likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jun 14, 2013

:thumbsup:

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 14, 2013

:thumbsup: You could just get it serviced and leave it the way it is now. You would not have to worry about scratching it up then.:D

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 15, 2013

The previous owner really liked shiny watches I guess. Yes most of what I see there can be corrected with proper refinishing. In fact this is easier to correct than a watch or bracelet that has been completely brushed all over...

Cheers, Al

20. Mothra Jun 16, 2013

Yeah, sorry about the brushed one arriving with you probably tomorrow for sorting! :whistling: