Forums Latest Members
  1. Beepos Jan 31, 2019

What do people think of this Ed white? I’m trying to teach myself how to evaluate speedies

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...427382?hash=item21501448b6:g:0RAAAOSwFZZcLW6fPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Somethings here are bugging me. The min markers at 39 mins and 46 mins are incompelte, almost like they have a small bit missing. And theres the one hour mark on the subdial. Are these normal? I don’t see anything like it on other examples

about3blank and mgarelik like this.
  2. djmusicman Jan 31, 2019

These things can happen with time, I've seen the same before. Sounds like it's a deal breaker for you. The case isn't great either but the price isn't outrageous. Keep looking....

3. simonsays Jan 31, 2019

It has re lumed dial and hands, which is a big influence on price.

4. mr_yossarian Jan 31, 2019

"On offer is an Omega Speedmaster 105.003-65. The serial number is 24 million.
    -> I don't have an Extract from Omega to proof it belongs to the Watch.
    The luminous materials on both hands and dial do not glow under UV lights,
    -> relumed, but I don't want to say that.
    the dial has a very even and nice tropical patina to it. It is very good looking on the wrist.
    -> blahblahblah..it is also very good looking on a swarovsky bracelet
    Please consider pictures part of the description. Thanks for looking
    -> please understand that pictures are all you get in terms of disclosure.! Go find the flaws yourself and don't complain afterwards!

Very "shy" disclosed. I also think this one can bear more surprises than you can see in the pictures.

Buy the seller, I would suggest you go ask him questions first about his watch: about the lume ( most likely reply: he can't tell, he bought it that way) and if he ever tried to order an extract from Omega ( most likely reply: no, because he knows it's authentic..which would contradicts with the lume answer)

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 31, 2019

For me the discussion becomes interesting when we ask, what is it really worth?

I get asked a few times whats a good ed white for everyday, and this could be one. I think it is too expensive for that but that begs the question what is it worth.

For me its a bit tired all round, with a nice looking albeit relumed dial. Of its kind, it is better looking than many. What price is the No Brain Buy?

$4,000 ?

For that I think several people would buy it. So now I ask, how high would it go before only one person would?

For me its a given, the re lume and the possibly non speedmaster movement.

So how much?

Lonestar likes this.
  6. mr_yossarian Jan 31, 2019

As soon as he can agree on a VAP price with anyone - given the one major issue of a possible wrong movement- all is good. But reading the description leads me to the conclusion that it's not what he would sell it for.

7. gdupree Jan 31, 2019

Yup. Relumed and hands repainted.

For education, the biggest "tell" for this that could be recognized in about .5 seconds is points/corners of the lume channel of the hands. For instance, look at the internal point on the chrono-seconds hand below:

Repaint.png

Original hands will have a very sharp points and corners in the lume channels. But, but when repainted, the paint typically 'globs' in these areas and creates a less sharp corners. And naturally, you can't repaint a hand in this way without reluming it. Once you know the hands have seen work, then you're well on your way to deducing that the dial appears to have been relumed with lume that precisely matches.

8. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 31, 2019

9. rfordo Jan 31, 2019

What points to questioning the originality of the movement, although in the range? The other attempts to deceive with the dial and reproduction crown?

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 31, 2019

The moment all cosmetics of a watch have been reworked (heavily polished case too ...) that would automatically bring into question the watch as a whole, and whether it is what it appears to be ... or just a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' collection of parts that is pretending to be a more expensive version of what it really is.

11. mr_yossarian Jan 31, 2019

General doubts, coming from the way this Watch is disclosed. Just a feeling coming from experience, intuition. It must not be right, but I don't want to be the one to find out it is a wrong movement. There are too many better Speedies and Sellers, why take a risk.

12. mr_yossarian Jan 31, 2019

There is something we sometimes forget..and we might need to change perspective a bit in this exclusive Club here.

Some people work way harder than I ( and some others here ) do and earn way less money, because they have to put it that way, "normal" jobs.

A friend of mine is in love for years, passionate about it and dying for a simple 14060 from the 90ies.
    He is putting money away for it, each month and it will take him considerable time to have enough to buy this Submariner.
    I wouldn't want him to get screwed by a straight forward dishonest scammer, a "semi-liar", a notorious cheater, a "white lies" seller..name it.

It wouldn't just be a learning for him, but a disaster to loose the money for a fake/franked Watch.

Dash1, murph, connieseamaster and 2 others like this.
  13. Beepos Jan 31, 2019

Thanks folks.

I’m not yet in the market to buy a cal 321 Speedy, but am saving up for a 2998 or great Ed White (just finished med school!)

But in the mean time, I’ve been stalking ebay and here. This Ed white jumped out at first, but my spidey senses told me something was wrong

One question about the lume: in addition to the wonderful tutorial by @gdupree, shouldn’t the lume glow under UV? Is that what @mr_yossarian is referring to?

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 31, 2019

Yes, it should :thumbsup:

Beepos likes this.
  15. Beepos Jan 31, 2019

Thank you to everybody on this thread!

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 31, 2019

I agree with all the points raised, none of which answer the (admittedly academic) question, of what is it worth. Lets put it another way what would this sell for in a no reserve auction?

After all, there is a value there.

My guess is that in a NR ebay auction this might get 4000-5000.

Have I lost my mind?

Come on lads, its -25C here, I am bored and cannot step outside for long.....

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 31, 2019

VAP? What’s that...$6500-ish?

18. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 31, 2019

It’s got a nice, albeit polished, case and original pushers. Unless somebody gets right on top of you, nobody’s going to notice the lume issues when you’re wearing it.
    D93DBAF3-5082-44A9-AF2B-8446CC3BEB3C.jpeg

I think it’s at least a $7k to $7.5k watch.

bloomy, Dan S and Spacefruit like this.
  19. wsfarrell Jan 31, 2019

But.....but wait! You're giving away secrets to the relumers! Now they'll be able to create perfect undetectable fakes!

Archer, OMEGuy, gdupree and 2 others like this.
  20. Basset Hound Jan 31, 2019

I tend to agree. I think that at $4000 it is definitely a no brainer and that it could go to $7000. My question is what difference would an extract from the archives make?