Forums Latest Members
  1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 16, 2017

I need some advice. I sold an Omega f300hz on Ebay Last week. The watch has been operating flawlessly while in my possession (around six months). When I bought it was not operating. My watchmaker performed service and all was well.
    Watch was sold, shipped and received. Two days after receipt (yesterday) I received an Ebay message that the watch, while having worked for the previous two days, has now stopped working. Buyer now wishes to return the watch.
    I have contacted Ebay and made them aware of the situation. The listing was a "no returns" listing. Ebay has not intervened at this time since the buyer has not filed a return request with Ebay, they are taking a wait to see how this develops position.
    I am reluctant to allow a return. The buyer may have caused the watch to stop working through some action of his. He acknowledges the watch was working upon receipt. He does not want to look into cause, as he believes he has no liability at this time. The situation is not adversarial at this time, but I am afraid it may become so.
    Any advice, opinions or similar experiences would be appreciated.
    2017-03-08 002.JPG

Edited Mar 16, 2017
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 16, 2017

Unfortunately regardless of your stated "no returns", if the buyer files a not as described claim you will be forced by eBay to accept the return.

Been there.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 16, 2017

Not as described is not the issue. Ebay suggested it may be buyers remorse, and directed me to continue correspondence to avoid a claim of non-responding seller.

4. U5512 Mar 16, 2017

You will have no choice but to take the watch back. Your "NO RETURN" policy means NOTHING to eBay if the watch doesn't work and or NOT AS DESCRIBED.

5. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

Buyer needs to take minimum responsibility to help and resolve this issue.

Omeg@007 likes this.
  6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 16, 2017

The watch was working upon receipt and buyer has acknowledged this prior to this issue.

PS just so it is clear. Ebay has a "no return" box that can be checked when the listing is created. I trust that they will take this into account when a review of the situation occurs.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 16, 2017

Why not take it back and resell it? Yes, it will cost you some $$$. But if you plan on selling anything else on eBay, it will not look good if he gives you a bad rating and writes that you sold him a watch that did not properly operate (even if that claim is not true). You might lose a lot more $ because of that then if you accept the return.

8. Lukeeesteve Mar 16, 2017

Here is my story

I sold a watch for parts (lots of pics and not working as described) with no returns. The seller decided he wanted to return it as it wasn't as described. I usually take things back no questions asked (only happens once) except that this guy left his manners at home from the start.

So I let him to file a dispute with eBay and to let them decide it. He files a not as described claim but was rejected.

In your case, you have the advantage of him saying it was working fir 2 days (and I hope you have a receipt of the service done for just in case eBay asks for proof).

3 possible outcomes, assuming he used PayPal
    - eBay finds in your favor - end of claim.
    - eBay finds in his and he returns the watch...refund etc
    - He doesn't file a claim and leaves you a bum feedback. (Honestly if you have 1-2% bad feedback, I attribute the problem to the other person)

Edited Mar 16, 2017
  9. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

Have buyer work for refund, do not just give it away. Ask for pictures, videos, 3th party inspection by watchmaker, file insurance claim with in-home inspection. You can do all of this and still be very nice and professional with the buyer.

ajg1960, Taddyangle and Lukeeesteve like this.
  10. adi4 Mar 16, 2017

I think this is probably the best approach, since as a buyer I could see myself at least questioning the description if a watch stops working within a day or two of receipt and the description stated it was working as expected. If the seller at least responded to my inquiries and was professional about it, I don't see why both of you can't walk out at least satisfied even if no return happens.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  11. tjoy89 Mar 16, 2017

There is very little to zero incentive for the buyer to do any of this. They can open up a return claim that the watch is not as described and died two days after receipt. It does not matter if a seller selected no returns on their listing, eBay will decide in the buyer's favor and force a return, bypassing all of your suggestions, some of which seem a little extreme for the value of the watch in question.

12. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Mar 16, 2017

This is not necessary correct in OP case. eBay been taking action to prevent this type of behaviour from buyers.

13. tjoy89 Mar 16, 2017

I've been selling on eBay for a decade and have run into similar problems many times. It is rare that cases are decided in the seller's favor. If the buyer has not revealed any additional information about the return (such as the speculated buyer's remorse, if they tampered with it, etc.) and the only thing to go off of is that it arrived working and stopped two days later, the buyer will win that case every time.

To the OP, isn't it possible that the watch did indeed just stop working? Is it fair to just automatically consider the buyer to have an ulterior motive? You had it serviced less than six months ago, should your watchmaker not warranty a repair if that is the case? If you were in the buyer's shoes, would you not want your new watch to work for more than two days when it was sold to you in working condition?

WYO_Watch, TNTwatch and Lukeeesteve like this.
  14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 16, 2017

I suspect the problem is most likely a simple one. The battery died, the battery contact. etc. The buyer does not want to investigate. But there is the possibility something else happened and if so should that be my responsibility to deal with it?.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  15. Lukeeesteve Mar 16, 2017

It would truly suck if this excitement was over a dead battery. Sadly theremight be a 50/50 chance.

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 16, 2017

If they did (by opening it and testing battery) then they likely would have to keep the watch no matter what.

Speaking for myself as a buyer, if you advertise the watch as running and it isn't running when it arrives, it goes back immediately.

I don't open it, I don't investigate it, I send you an email and we work it out like gentlemen.

If a seller wants to play games, then we have credit card company and eBay/PayPal deal with it.
    gatorcpa

watchknut likes this.
  17. tjoy89 Mar 16, 2017

Yes, it is your responsibility as a seller to deliver a product that is how you described it. I don't understand how one could think otherwise.

To ask the buyer to look into it themselves when all they wanted was to receive a working watch is not part of the sale. Between members on the forum here yes, the friendly environment between collectors means that you can most likely work something out together. On a platform like eBay that is not the case. There is no way a return claim would be decided in your favor unless the buyer admits to nefarious behavior.

18. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 16, 2017

The watch was working for 2 days after arrival.
    I did not ask buyer to look into anything.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 16, 2017

Look at it from their perspective for a second. Say it really has stopped as they claim do you think it is morally right that you wash your hands of it? After 2 days? If a SNAD claim is lodged I don't think you have a chance of avoiding a forced return and refund and if you fall out with the buyer or piss them off too much and are really unlucky you may get back a pile of bits or an empty box.

There is of course the possibility which you seem to have inferred that the buyer is a lier and has remorse or that the watch was somehow damaged in the post but the reality is that ebay tend to side with the buyer in most cases like this so I think you may need to accept the return and take it on the chin.

ps displaying this attitude on open forum may well make people think twice about buying from you in future. Just saying!

Edited Mar 16, 2017
  20. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 16, 2017

Was the battery replaced during the service? If so, the watch having stopped working is probably not the battery. If it were me, I'd give him a refund. Not worth the hassle.

Lukeeesteve likes this.