Forums Latest Members

eBay: charging commission on shipping charges

1. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 26, 2014

2. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

I was just thinking about this yesterday.

I don't think they should charge you any money on the shipping fee's, then PP takes a bite too!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 26, 2014

Ain't that the truth. :mad:

Been doing this with US based sellers for over a year.

They are trying to encourage more sellers to offer free shipping.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

If that's the outcome I wouldn't mind it. Free shipping does encourage me to bid harder, and helps me delude myself into thinking a watch is less expensive than it is.

5. marturx Mar 26, 2014

It's expensive to sell on eBay nowadays. First 10% on the hammer price, and then equally much (10%) on shipping (that is normally at cost price, at least that is what I charge). Then it's 6% on the money transfer (PayPal), currency exchange included. On top of that, buyers see eBay as a flea market, so there is generally low or no premium on quality. Buyers just don't believe a listing of a quality item is for real. I wonder for how long they can continue this negative development of that marketplace....

Dablitzer, lenny, speedy_csp and 4 others like this.
  6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2014

You have hit the nail on the head there!

JohnSteed likes this.
  7. JohnSteed Mar 26, 2014

Well. I hope to find out soon, how much/bad seller fees are. On the other hand, my ole '58 Seamaster may never sell. I haven't figured out how to load the photos correctly ....
    :thumbsdown: :cool:

Silver lining? Another bucket list item, CHECK!!! ::jumpy::

8. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 26, 2014

Respectable Member DLT222

The days are not too far away, when buyers will have to pay commission too, just like the other established auction houses.

Thank you.

9. photo500 Mar 27, 2014

I couldn't believe the email I got from them today about this, you charge postage only to have all of that and plenty more taken away in fee's anyway, now it will just be more money for them and no benefit. Sounds familiar when it comes to eBay.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 27, 2014

That's why this business model is ripe for disruption - fees going up but at best only small, incremental benefits to buyers and sellers. Key would be providing the level of service and vetting of the traditional auction houses with the reach and fees of eBay - daunting but not impossible.

11. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Mar 27, 2014

Selling on eBay has become very frustrating to say the least but it is still an effective way to reach the world with your items.

We have spoken with Customer Support many times for various reasons and our last call on Tuesday was regarding a shipping issue.

We were told that eBay "wishes" and really would like every seller to offer "Free Shipping" on all items. In fact they would look more "favorably" on any sellers that do that and have the correct ratings and Feedback.

Have to just figure into the cost of the item and start it a little higher than normal.

12. ulackfocus Mar 27, 2014

Sadly, it's sellers that used to put very low Buy It Now prices and IMMENSE shipping charges that brought this about. They thought they were beating the system since eBay wasn't taking a percentage of the shipping cost.

13. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Mar 27, 2014

$2.99 for an item and $49.95 for shipping, still see that sometimes...who are they kidding with this?

14. msp1518 Apr 4, 2014

EBay was a side business for me until a few years ago. Today it is insanely difficult to make a profit. Not to mention the absurdity of letting buyers steel your goods. I have had to stop selling overseas and worse'am forced to waste time watching my auctions for troublesome bidders to drop and block.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 4, 2014

That's why we have Sales Forum here.......;)

16. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2014

Exactly how does somebody "steal your goods" in an open auction? ::confused2::

17. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

When the buyer claims the package arrived empty, takes lots of pics and files a PP and eBay case.

Even if you can show the shipping weight, you're about to get screwed.

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 5, 2014

There's a simple fix for that: ebay could require a video of the opening of the box.