Forums Latest Members
  1. kippyk Jan 14, 2019

There was a recent Certina that sold on Ebay for $2000 at auction.

The watch is not working sold as is without warranty for repair/restoration.,Mainspring is broken .,Movement is complete all parts are present balance wheel is moving freely

How would the experts interpret the description? Is the mainspring difficult to replace? Does it require a donor watch? Please offer an opinion on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vinta...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 14, 2019

I'm no expert on the model, but the mainspring shouldn't be a problem to replace. The crystal, however, may be difficult.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. simonsays Jan 14, 2019

Doner movements are easy to find if necessary, the crystal can be made quite easily, I have made them myself, and have spares. I would have bought this if I had the cash to spare. They are amazing pieces of engineering and the definition of a tool watch. They don't make em like that any more!

4. Dan S Jan 14, 2019

5. kippyk Jan 14, 2019

I was very tempted to purchase, but I did not know what I would be getting into. I thought the person selling the watch knew quite a bit about the watch. I figured he would have repaired it for a bigger profit if it was feasable. Based upon the feedback here, it would have been repairable at a "reasonable" cost. Now I know for next time.

sdre likes this.
  6. simonsays Jan 14, 2019

They are very well made and under valued. Really interesting watches, and like so many other unusual cases shapes, like the Omega MC or Flightmaster actually wear very well once on the wrist