Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

At the end of the day though price wasn't fair for the seller (not even close to market as some of you know) - we're quite vocal here about buyers getting a fair shake but how about sellers (and many of us wear both hats)?

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 18, 2013

Depends on which hat we are wearing at that time :D

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

We call it Warehouse "Mac"

4. Dablitzer Jul 18, 2013

Market for sellers has definately dipped. And people are just hanging on for really nice examples, because they have less to play with. Hard to make the right decisions in this game everytime..

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

Regardless, Hoi's scenario is probably correct. I have had sellers do that to me and openly admit that they got a better offer.

6. Dablitzer Jul 18, 2013

Same here. I think it happens when they get overwhelmed by "offer recieved" versus their minds price... Can be very different sometimes.

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

Well, sellers need to do their due diligence also.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

Just got me thinking that's all since we see a lot of outrage here (and rightfully so) when a newbie pays say $2000 for a watch that is really worth $300 but when someone mistakenly sells an item for much lower than market, it's kudos for the buyer but no sympathy for the seller? I suppose Hoi's point is well taken - depends on which hat you are wearing!

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

I am not in disagreement with your premise, just saying the scenario happens more frequently then people realize and the seller is not completely innocent when they lie to cancel the sale.

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 18, 2013

If I were Kyle,

I would ask

Hey, how much he paid? I will pay 2 hundred dollars more than he does.

Then the seller has to lie some more and I get the watch

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

For Kyle's peace of mind folks
    ::deadhorse::

12. ulackfocus Jul 18, 2013

Adam beat me to the punch. If a seller doesn't do enough research and asks too low of a price, how can that be the buyer's fault? I'm TOTALLY against telling a person a watch (or any item) is not valuable to try to bilk them, but if they put it up for sale and you give full asking price I can't see that being wrong in any way.

Hell, they could have come here before eBay and asked us for an approximate value. Somebody here, probably several members, would make them half decent offers behind the scenes.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

And therein lies the point. If you play on eBay, you need to know the rules there and do your homework before posting the listing. I don't think he would have been able to go to Antiquorum or any of the other major auction houses and pull a stunt like that.

While this watch was priced way too low, the seller is certainly entitled to every nickel they can get for it. IMO, their error was listing it on eBay first, then cancelling the sale after their offer was accepted.

I think if Kyle wanted to take the seller to small claims court, he'd probably have a case. However, since he would be dealing in multiple states over a relatively small amount it would likely be way too difficult.

Maybe Judge Judy would take the case!
    gatorcpa

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

True but by the same token if a buyer doesn't do his due diligence and get's screwed we give them advice on how they might return the item and get their money back instead of just dismissing them saying they were foolish not to do their research. My point here being that we are more forgiving and sympathetic towards mistakes by buyers but appear to be unforgiving towards mistakes by sellers - experienced dealers I have no sympathy for but there are some sellers who say have a family heirloom who may be relative newcomers to ebay and ask for much less in a BIN listing than what the item is worth and then get less for say grandpa's old watch. I think they should merit at least a similar amount of sympathy.

Gator's points are well taken as well but eBay's own rules allow for a catch all reason to open a case to cancel a finished sale - wrong price listed. I can't tell you how many $0.99 BIN listings for watches and movements I've won and had them subsequently cancelled. And true - certainly not worth my time and effort to litigate it!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

Thought the discussion deserved its own thread.

16. John R Smith Jul 18, 2013

Well, when it comes to certain things (not watches, but cameras) I am an informed seller. But I still get burnt, because you get the classic situation where there is also an informed buyer, but only one of them. So I have listed something with a starting price of £9.99, which is actually worth about £150. There turns out to be only one bidder, and he gets it for £9.99 (this has happened, and not just once). So far, I have felt duty bound to complete the deal with the buyer.

17. Melhadary Jul 18, 2013

Still, you never know. I've had a seller pull that move on me, and after a few days, return back to me to offer me the watch because the second (higher) offer-er didn't come through. Who, as a buyer, wouldn't then abuse that situation and negotiate down to get the watch at a steal!

Destiny sometimes has a freaky way of putting purchases in the hands they were meant to be in I guess.

IMO, these are the creases that may never be ironed out on a platform like ebay, and both buyers and sellers have to deal with them.