Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 30, 2015

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 30, 2015

Movement and dial? Aged with a flamethrower!!! The dial looks familiar, has it been discussed here previously?

Edited Aug 30, 2015
    watchyouwant likes this.
  3. JohnSteed Aug 30, 2015

Discuss? Only if a good laugh needed. No offense intended to seller of course ... But c'mon, really!!

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. E-diddy Aug 30, 2015

a little creme brulee going on there. plus a missing screw.

bazamu and Spacefruit like this.
  5. watchtinker Aug 31, 2015

Discussing movements is a rather complex matter which does not seem to encounter the attention of collectors, which are generally versed only in hands, dials, casebacks and all the visible parts.
    I tried to raise the question in a few occasions (e.g. https://omegaforums.net/threads/salvation-army-speedie-for-sale-on-ebay-a-nice-donation.25815/page-4), with no success.
    However, there are more subtle issues in movements than one can imagine.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

Missing screws, damaged screws, incorrectly replaced screws, and yea not hugely surprising that the serial number plate is one of the notably different colours ones.

7. Bienne2998 Aug 31, 2015

I do not like it neither. Hmm the movement number seems to start with 1. 105.003-63 start normally with 20.5.
    Symmetrical clutch bridge and arrow shaped index look like a A1 movement (from 2915-1 - 105.002-62 according to MWO, Side 43).

8. Davidt Aug 31, 2015

I always associate these dark/mouldy looking plots with water damage. No idea if that's correct but it makes sense to me.

If that's the case, it's reasonable to think that the movement may have rusted and the most cost effective solution was to switch for an early Seamaster movement, Hence the early asymmetric piece which is too early for a '65.
    Obviously no one wants to admit that the watch they're selling was a wreck and has had a movement switch, so the bridge was cleaned up and re-used so the number still corresponds with a '65 Speedmaster.

9. novina Aug 31, 2015

Being new to Omegas and watch collecting as a whole, I would have concerns with this movemnt. I would have to defer to people who know what they are looking at. I see at least 3 parts that do not match the color of most of the movement. 1 screw looks to be the wrong type. The brige with the serial number gives ne the biggest doubt about this and its asking price. Now I did not study the picture too long and might find other issues, as have already been mentioned. I have yet to many movements that looks like that. Either they are super clean, slightly dingy or totally gumed up. As said, I would have to ask other more knoweable persons about the authenticity of this movement before I dropped over 3K for it. Just my observevations and opinion.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 31, 2015

While I do not have the knowledge of a watchmaker, I do hope to learn, which is why I post, and eagerly await your opinion, so as to guide me further away from being a collector who only cares about hands and dials!

Traveler likes this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2015

I messaged this seller asking for more of the serial. And suggested he share something like 24,xxx,x00 leaving out the last couple digits if he felt need to. He replied and said the serial wasn't 24 million, but rather, was 13.254.114. I don't even know where a number like that would come from, and he seems to know a bit about watches, so, red flags start flying.

Maybe a comparative picture as a point of reference would be helpful for the less experienced of us?

12. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 31, 2015

My 105.003-64

image.jpg

Watch in question

image.jpg

Edited Aug 31, 2015
    oddboy likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2015

14. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Aug 31, 2015

13 million serial, so it's not a speedmaster movement !
    This watch is a patchwork ahah

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

I read it as 18 but it's hard from the pics to read these damn things. What's weirder though is in his description:

So he says 24M... Which it clearly isn't, or maybe he's swapping around parts from so many 321s that *one* of the watches that contributed parts was a 24M.

But importantly that last part:

ALL ORIGINAL PARTS :)

16. ConElPueblo Aug 31, 2015

No doubt they are all original Omega parts :)

17. watchtinker Aug 31, 2015

I appreciate very much your passion and enthusiasm, as well as the time that you devote to vintage Omega dissemination.
    I would just like to draw the attention of all the enthusiasts to the fact that, apart from all the other parts of a watch, also the movement requires a careful examination which, unfortunately, in most cases cannot be just visual.
    Some movements show their conditions. Other need to be examined more in depth.
    And there are also many subtle variations in calibers over the years which should be taken into consideration.
    Hopefully, this might become another point in assessing the conditions of a watch.

18. watchtinker Aug 31, 2015

By the way, this watch is a total mess!
    Can someone spot at least two evident technical issues?

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

I'll take a stab at one being the shock protection system?

image.jpg

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 31, 2015

I see corrosion on some parts.
    The serial bridge and the "horseshoe" bridge look a completely different colour. (Educate me on the name!) and so I think added in and not original to the movement.
    There is a hole, where I think a screw goes.
    The two screws holding the movement ring to the movement are different, so, as the song goes, one of them must be wrong.
    Some of the screws show considerable damage.