Forums Latest Members
  1. dmh1977 May 12, 2017

Hello all, just joined up - nice forum!

I have a few watches in my modest collection, and wouldn't part with most of them. My Breitling was a 21st present from my parents, for example, and I also have the first 'proper' watch my father bought which is a lovely keepsake.

Anyway, I have decided to purchase something else this year, and realised that my Omega Seamaster 300 GMT (2538.20.00 aka 'Great White') just hasn't seen any wrist time in a while. I wore it a lot when I got it, but the last few years I have wound it every week or so and put it away again. Just seems a bit of a waste.

So, am seriously considering moving it on - but wondered what the easiest way to do so is? Ideally I'd like to trade it (and add some cash) for the next watch I'm looking for - but Chrono24 isn't showing any obvious options (such a dealer with the watch I want open to taking trades).

I am thinking of just listing it on eBay (or Chrono24) but not sure it would be very straightforward. In the nicest possible way - I'm not sure I would buy a watch from me! I'm not a dealer, have no feedback, so would anyone buy it from me?

For clarity. I bought the watch new from the Omega Boutique in London. I have the box and the spare links. It's a great watch, just time for something else.

My question is - have any of you (non-dealers) sold watches easily for a fair price, and if so, how did you do it?

I know I can list if here - which I might at some point - but wondered if the greater traffic of eBay etc might be better.

Lastly, anyone have any good experiences with a trade at a jeweller? I'm guessing a watch+cash in exchange for the new one would be the easiest option - so a recommendation for a decent trader would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!

DaveK likes this.
  2. roryoc11 May 12, 2017

With Ebay you will get market price and have to pay the 10%, if you trade in you'll get less than this. If you have no feedback it's worth taking good photos of the watch and potentially offering a secure viewing for serious buyers.

McJamesT likes this.
  3. cristos71 May 12, 2017

Sell it on Ebay or on a local to you classified sales website. You will always receive more than with a trade in and with cash in your pocket you will be in a better bargaining position when it comes to buying the next one

propervinyl likes this.
  4. dmh1977 May 14, 2017

Thanks Gents - Sounds like eBay it is....

Interestingly, been wearing the GMT for a couple of days to check it keeps time (is right on the money, unlike my Breitling - even with a service, another story). Anyway, a little wrist time has reminded me just what a lovely watch it is...

5. pianomankd May 14, 2017

eBay!!

6. Oppo May 16, 2017

Careful on eBay though, there are a lot of scammers, be sure to enable PayPal verified accounts only. I've had several people message me claiming they wanted my watch. Then sent fake PayPal emails and demanding I send the watch.

7. ras47 May 16, 2017

You can check out Watch Recon to see if what you want is out there. You'll also get a good idea of prices. You can also search for the watch you want to sell and see what folks are asking for it. When I got my 30+ year grail watch, a Rolex GMT2 Pepsi, this is exactly what I did. Some sellers won't respond to a PM from a new member without many posts, but eventually someone did. As he was an established seller working for a watch store, I trusted him with me shipping first so he could evaluate my trade. It was all very gentlemanly and the trade went smooth as silk.

The watch pictured on my wrist is actually cleaner than it looks in the photo. The bezel is perfect but it looks like there is some smudging on it. That's glare and not damage to the bezel finish.

IMG_2009.jpg
    JohnAcosta likes this.
  8. Jaacck May 17, 2017

watch finder.co.uk is always an option

9. Sidney Carton May 21, 2017

Ebay provides lots of securities. Especially valuable for high end sales and purchases, like Omega watches. My transactions have been easy.

10. WatchWarlock May 21, 2017

Start slowly in eBay with lesser value items to develop the good feedback. If you wanted to trade the watch, you'd probably get the best value between forum members. Just know that given lack of references, you may need to send your watch first.

11. Wing Zero May 22, 2017

Ebay provides lots of securities for the buyer.
    Not so much for the seller.

gdupree and Cad290 like this.
  12. ras47 May 22, 2017

When I got my first forum watch via trade I had to ship first. I had no worries as the member with whom I traded was well established and ran an upscale watch store in Atlanta. Worked out beautifully and I got my grail watch.

13. dmh1977 Jul 21, 2017

Quick update...

Firstly - many thanks to all the people who posted advice.

Actually seem to have fallen on my feet. Was wearing the watch out for dinner with some work colleagues, and the conversion turned to watches. I mentioned that I wanted to sell the Omega and hey presto, sale agreed!

Watch is currently having a service, and I need to dig out the box and the paperwork, but all seems to be sorted.

Happy days....

Walrus, bgrisso and ras47 like this.
  14. Owlsu Aug 3, 2017

I sold a Seamaster to a local pawnshop after owning it for two years and having purchased it from another pawnshop further up the road. It was unboxed with no papers when I bought it and was missing about half of its bracelet (Bond, full size, automatic) they looked it over, asked me where I got it, looked it over again with a loupe and gave me £300 less than what I'd originally paid for it on the spot as cash.

If I'd gone the eBay route I might have been able to get an extra £100-£150 out of the sale with far more time and effort (and time wasters) involved.

Still it's nowhere near as bad as the people that say an Omega loses 50% of its value on resale.

I bought a Speedmaster a year ago for £2800 new and know that if I was in a similar situation again of needing money I can sell it to a same sort of shop again with no effort for at least £2400 for an extremely quick sale. It's a loss but it's not a gigantic one and certainly not like people say where you "lose all value" with Omega. As long as they're discounted in the first place or pre-owned they hold the majority of their value.

Edited Aug 3, 2017
  15. Gasman Aug 3, 2017

Try Watchfinder I have just had a reasonable offer from them far more than others.

16. ttay007 Feb 12, 2021

I see I'm late to the conversation but I would not sell anything I wasn't prepared to have stolen, worn, altered and returned up to 30 days; the guy who said "lot's of protection for the buyer on eBay; not so much for seller." I'd say more clearly, NONE for the seller. If you still have your GMT or any others, send me a PM and I might b interested? Cheers, and best of luck w/your watches.

17. blueteg Feb 12, 2021

I wouldn't go so far as to say "none" for the Seller. What about the authentication program for watches $2000+? Certainly not a perfect program but most definitely better than nothing and cuts out alot of the funny business that a shady buyer may try and pull since the watch is coming from Ebay, which eliminates the claims that what was was pictured was not was was shipped.