Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstatetime Jul 9, 2013

I picked this watch up yesterday along with a few others from the son of a former watch sales rep in the US. (Unfortunately, none of the other watches were UG.) Except for some "patina" it seems more or less like new. Not being a UG mavin I gather from some web research that the Bumper was the first version of the Pole and was quickly replaced by the Microrotor. Can any of you gentlemen add to my knowledge of this nice looking watch? Sorry about the lousy pictures but my iPhone is the only camera I had handy this morning.

Thanks

JohnCote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2013

Mid 50's caliber 138 in a gold capped case with a replacement crown. Not sure about the hands either. Still, a nice looking watch. :thumbsup:

3. Interstatetime Jul 9, 2013

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 10, 2013

Your watch is most likely a 1955 production year. Could be an early '56 as they phased the 138ss out mid production year. You should be able to source a proper crown fairly easily. Remember - UG crowns were unsigned until 1959?, when the company did a full-tilt Madison Ave, Mad Men branding campaign.

There is a ton of Polarouter - Polerouter info on the intranets. I just bought an original "Polarouter" myself.

congrats.

Interstatetime likes this.
  5. Adam2941 Aug 20, 2013

Hi John, I just noticed this post. Not sure if anyone will see this, but here are my observations about your watch. I agree that it probably dates to 1955. The serial number would help to establish an approximate date. That should be stamped into the back of your case, but unfortunately your case has been quite heavy polished, with a fairly rough grit like steel wool, which not only diminishes the value but appears to have taken off the serial number, at least judging from your photo. The front of the case also looks like it has been polished. The hands are not original to this watch. If you go to polerouter.com you will find many examples of original hands. The minute hand is not supposed to go beyond the inner edge of the chapter ring, and yours goes almost all the way to the outer edge. Also, the tail of your second hand has been broken off. The crown, as others have noted, is not original, and I am of a different opinion than citizenrich who thinks that it will be easy to replace. Some early Polarouters had unsigned crowns, but those are of a very particular shape which are not easy to find. Many Polarouters and as far as I know all Polerouters had signed crowns, of several different designs, and they are extremely rare. The good news is that your dial appears to be original, and the movement looks to be in very good condition. It is a beautiful watch and you should enjoy wearing it. It is, however, on the lower end of the scale in terms of value due to all of the issues I have noted above. If you want to collect Polerouters, perhaps you can use this one as your daily wearer and look around for another one in more original condition so keep as a "queen" (a watch that never gets worn).

6. Interstatetime Aug 21, 2013

Adam,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am out of town and not near this watch but when I get back I will try to take some better pix of the back. As I remember the logo and letters on the back are very sharp. There is a serial number somewhere if I remember correctly.

JohnCote