Forums Latest Members

Early Omega Seamaster Jumbo Dial: Prototype? One-Off? Re-dial?

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 11, 2016

My dad let me bid on this 2657-4 2494 at a State of Florida abandoned/seized assets auction back in 1987. The state would hold auctions in the capital and sell items that were abandoned in safety deposit boxes or seized by the state. It was a two watch lot, with the other being a 1950's Schild movement retailer watch with an oversized stepped lug case.

We paid $75 for the lot, and it was my first vintage Omega, A fun watch for a 8 year old to wear, on a near perfect 7077 bracelet nonetheless (that is enroute to another member), but honestly it spent another 28 years in a safe.

Now that I have jumped back in the Omega pool headfirst, I have begun to wonder if the dial is an amazing older redial, or if it was a factory one-off, possibly some sort of prototype of an early Seamaster. With a movement in the 10.9m serial range, and a reference starting production in 1949, it is clearly an early one.

In the end it doesn't matter what it is since it, along with my Rolex Army, were the first "high end" vintage pieces that started my watch obsession at a very young age.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated, as I have no clue what it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vinn2 and KstateSkier like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 11, 2016

Looking at the text, and the lines in the seconds dial, it sure looks like a redial to me.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2016

Older redial and not a particularly good one. There are extremely few "prototypes" allowed out of the factory.

In addition Omega (or most other larger watch companies) don't make unique watches. Although they may have many dial styles for a single case reference, none are one-of-a-kind. Too expensive to produce.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 11, 2016

I don't play much in the early vintage waters, so my eyes don't see what yours do in regards to fonts. I appreciate the insight, and it answers the question rather easily.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 11, 2016

There should also be a Cal. 342 in there.

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 11, 2016

What is in there? Learning more by the minute about my franken ::popcorn::

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2016