Forums Latest Members

Early constellation crowns - also in solid gold or always plated?

1. bieb1 Apr 6, 2014

Does anyone know whether early solid gold omega constellations ever had solid gold crowns, or were these always gold plated?

2. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2014

I don't think any of them were completely solid gold, but had a layer of gold bonded to the steel. Gold wouldn't hold the threads over years of repeated winding.

3. bieb1 Apr 6, 2014

Thank you. I was wondering because I have a very well used gold crown on a 354 constellation and there is still no metal shining through. Looking at it from the stem side though it is as you say, a thick gold rim with a metal screw thread inside. I am arguing with Bienne that I want this same crown put back on after servicing, but they can replace the stem if they want/need to.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 6, 2014

It may be that the threading on the modern stems might not match up with the original crown. You might need to let them replace the crown and be absolutely sure that they return the original part to you. Then have a watchmaker see if the original still fits after the service.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. bieb1 Apr 6, 2014

Good point, thank you gatorcpa, I had not thought about that. Bienne does return the replaced parts in a little plastic bag, so that is a good alternative.