Forums Latest Members

Early 2648 14k & 18k Omega Constellations and their case styles

1. Dablitzer Nov 21, 2013

Some months ago I had the opportunity to buy this early 1950's Constellation in a 2648 case and Cal 354 Movement, but missed out in the end.

image.jpg
    What I didn't realise then was just how different the case styles were on this model, and in particular the lugs. I have seen the above example in solid 18k with smooth, almost polished lugs like the early 2500 Centenary, but this is not always the case (see what I did there?) as I have seen some 14k variations with smooth and some with the more chiselled lugs style, and in particular this relates to the steel cases, so far I have not seen smooth polished steel lugs, but they could exist.

What I'm interested in knowing is - are there any fast rules to assessing these cases? Or are they just dependant on the materials. i.e. gold or steel. Some, if not all have quite defined bezels.

Or have some of these models just not survived the test of time? Are they supposed to be sharper, more defined?

image.jpg

The model pictured above spurred the idea for this post as they seem to be between the two, fairly angular, but quite fine. It looked relatively unpolished to my eyes noticing the tarnish on the bezel etc was a good sign here, but it's not always straightforward.

Could members post some of their examples so I can gather the necessary materials I need should I come In to contact with these models In the future.

There are also two different calibers, the 354's and 352's. Maybe this had a relationship to the finish on the lugs? Perhaps one was more deluxe or related to solid examples.

Thanks for your time!

Privateday7 likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

We do it on a case by case basis. (See what I did there?)

::rimshot::

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. Dablitzer Nov 21, 2013

I need some evidence for my case!

:p

Ludi likes this.
  4. Hijak Nov 21, 2013

Now this is not a complete waste of time!::rimshot::

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 21, 2013

Sorry - but hold on a second ! could this get any worse ? ::facepalm2::

6. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

Yeah, we make the worst jokes in this Constellation.

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. Dablitzer Nov 21, 2013

Let's wind down this constellation, I haven't the time for wind ups! :thumbsdown: :D I'm lost..and my crown is hurting!

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2013

So you had a chance shape your future here and you missed it???[​IMG]

9. Dablitzer Nov 21, 2013

Yup! :oops: I still regret it. I just couldn't justify it at the time. The dial and movement on this were perfect. I might be waiting a while for one this nice!

10. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

They are two of the three most important aspects of a vintage watch in my book, the other being the medallion condition.

That's the replaceability factor. It usually is a big part of the criteria I use for making a decision on selling one watch to fund another. If the one I want to buy is less common for whatever reason (very few left, hardly ever come up in as good condition, etc) than the one I'm considering selling then it's a smart choice to snag the rarer one and replace the sold one at a later time (if you even miss it).

11. Dablitzer Nov 21, 2013

I agree with the first half, as for second, my only problem is when a solid rare example comes up, I have to move more than one watch, and the ones I have acquired (in my humble opinion) aren't easy to replace quickly... There in lies my dilemma! ::facepalm2::

The above watch sold for around £1800. I think that included fees. Not horrendous, but the price reflected the condition and desirability factor.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 21, 2013

You missed this one? ::facepalm1:: . There always be Mr. Visa to help your dilemma :p.

13. Dablitzer Nov 22, 2013

Yes, can you believe it...I hope the watch gods look down on me for my next find.. :(

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 22, 2013

This watch is a perfect example of an "Ashley" purchase

15. Dablitzer Nov 22, 2013

Which Ashley are we referring to?

Edit: has anyone got any examples to show off ? :)

16. ulackfocus Nov 22, 2013

I think Steve means this watch is worth "going Ashley" for, meaning putting a ludicrously high bid in to insure winning it regardless of cost.

17. Dablitzer Nov 22, 2013

Ah, cool. I thought it was something Ashley did recently lol (keep up Alex!)

Yes, I still think about just going Ashley...But It's too late and it's now snuggled in someone's sock drawer and never to be seen for the next 50 years.

I have hope though. Maybe I'm supposed to find a 352? :D

I can't remember how many surviving ones mike said there actually was... But it was very low...I remember that !

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 22, 2013

The gold models whether 14k or 18k have pretty much the same case style (ref. 2648) and that is quite similar (not identical though) to the ref. 2500 centenary. I think much of the differences between the gold cases are likely the effect of polishing more than anything. The steel versions are slightly different with thicker and more "angular" lugs. The difference though is not much different when comparing solid gold with steel cases for the some of the other 1950s era constellations.

19. Dablitzer Nov 22, 2013

So would you say this example would have the slightly more defined lugs or it is an earlier model, closer to the centenary design with smooth lugs?

[​IMG]

It's seems to me there are a couple of 2648 shapes... I refuse to believe that all the smooth lug 2648's were polished so much, that they would appear so different to the model picture above... Just my thoughts, I don't know anyone with enough of these to warrant a strong enough bias..

20. Dablitzer Nov 22, 2013

Here is another I found...again, smooth!

[​IMG]