Forums Latest Members
  1. canardobkk May 12, 2015

Sorry for bothering you with this favor I am asking, but I was offered a 1970 OMEGA Speedmaster Professional watch without book or papers, but supposedly first hand watch, bought in Australia 1970. Since then, it has been worn much (obviously as seen on the photos) and serviced last about 15 years ago.

I am wondering if one of you eagle eyed enthusiasts can spot whether this is a model from that era and whether it seems in original state (bezel, dial, pushers). And yes, I know the photos aren't the best to judge on...

I am not asking for guaranties or certifications, just opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Omega01.jpg Omega02.jpg Omega03.jpg Omega04.jpg Omega05.jpg
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 12, 2015

Very hard to tell with these pics but
    Since this watch has a medallion and a stepped dial, I believe
    this is a reference 145.022-71 which was produced from 1971-74. So it could not have been bought in 1970.
    The bezel is a replacement
    The hands may be ok
    The dial appears stepped, which it should be.
    Pushers appear correct

Better pics of the lower dial area near 6 o'clock, movement and inside case and bracelet are needed

How much is the price? There are much better 145.022-71 available.

Good luck

canardobkk likes this.
  3. canardobkk May 12, 2015

Thx GEMINI4, the seller asks USD 1,100 "only".

I am less worry about the "condition", especially the metal wrist band, as I would wear it anyway with a leather strap, but I am more concerned about original condition and the "replaced bezel" comment reduces my motivation to buy it, however, I think the price isn't that bad, or?

4. Mothra May 13, 2015

I think stick a new crystal on that and it would look a billion times better. At $1100 I personally would bite his hand off. Check out speedmaster101 for an indication of the deal you would be getting.

canardobkk and lenny like this.
  5. threeputtbogey May 13, 2015

Impossible to tell from this blur-fest

6. canardobkk May 13, 2015

Thx guys, appreciate your feedback and input, I will downpay it now and keep you posted on how all turned out, better photos promised already...

:)

7. canardobkk May 19, 2015

UPDATE: I will meet the seller (retired Australian miner) tomorrow and will get the watch, very excited… photos are following…

Question upfront as I assume that the plastic crystal needs to be replaced, is it a hazzle to get an original one from 1972? And, if available, where? OMEGA directly? Any cost ideas?

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 19, 2015

It's perfectly acceptable to use a current one, they have not changed much over the years. Your watch will need a full service and you can get the watchmaker to put on a new crystal then. If he cannot obtain an original Omega crystal you buy one from otto frei or cousins in the UK.

canardobkk likes this.
  9. repoman May 19, 2015

I wouldn't touch it without looking at the movement, even for $1100. What if its a rust bucket inside? It's the year 2015, there is no reason for anyone to take blurry photographs unless they are purposely trying to hide something (IMHO).

Nobel Prize and canardobkk like this.
  10. canardobkk May 19, 2015

It is running / working and will do a check on it, not sure that I can open it, but the seller seems honest...

11. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 19, 2015

You've never met my dad then. I'm not sure which step he struggles more with; point or shoot

Eric_navi, richardew and canardobkk like this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 19, 2015

You may be lucky, I personally would always be suspicious of photos of this quality. No question the seller seems honest, but remember dishonest people don't usually appear dishonest. It is a sad reality that the biggest con men are those that can muster the most trust on their targets.

This said, good luck and I hope this is one of those cases where things come together.

It does seem very beaten up so I'm curious to see it once it's in your hands and the crystal is new.

Good Luck!

canardobkk likes this.
  13. j.allen May 19, 2015

Crystals (original brand name and generic) are produced and marketed to fit popular wristwatch models. The generics are supposedly just as good as the originals (I;ve never compared side-by-side). I can't justify spending $44 dollars or whatever on a replacement when the generic is readily available for $10. I don't think there is an advantage getting a NOS crystal which is 45 years old. Even if stored properly the plastic ages.

The crystal can be sourced from any watch supply warehouse, but you can find it on ebay too. Search for it either with the case number, or simply Speedmaster 30.6mm crystal, or maybe just 30.6mm crystal. A*F Swiss makes nice replacement crystals, but you sound like you might prefer an original.

You know what is interesting is that I recently purchased a replacement generic crystal from Cousins and it had the Omega logo in the center.

14. Tjmmartin May 20, 2015

Generic / aftermarket crystal??!!...now now!;)

15. canardobkk May 20, 2015

So, guys, I got the watch, paid just USD 900 for it!

Condition is better than expected, 861 movement confirmed (sorry had no chance to make photo, but went to watch maker and after she (!) opened it, she said: 861, great condition, running smoothly and no rust (seems to be an issue sometimes). One pusher at 4 o'clock is a bit too far out, she mentioned. Metal bracelet replaced over the years by a no name, but this will getting replaced first by a vintage leather strap… No numbers on the horns, inside of lid number 145022 stamped.

The watch is first hand, bought it from a guy who safe money for 1.5 years after seeing this watch in a window of a local Sydney watch shop beginning of the 70s. He was in the army then (young lad) and had only 120 AUS$ per week pay. After that he became miner and worked around the world digging for gold, silver and other metals. Seriously nice guy.

Have a look at the not much better photos I took with my iPhone, sorry for the "quality", it is dark here, and I am not Helmut Newton obviously...

IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3467.JPG
  16. canardobkk May 20, 2015

One more thing, besides the leather strap, I just want to make a cleaning of the outer and inner of the watch, polishing the plexiglass (removing the scratches) and a proper movement cleaning and oiling, if necessary, but I am against polishing the case as I like the signs of been worn and like authenticity, any thoughts?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2015

I would just service the movement, install a new crystal (original preferred) and if you want it to be water resistant, look at new crown, case tube, pushers, and of course case back gasket. I would not refinish this personally.

Congrats.

Cheers, Al

richardew and canardobkk like this.
  18. canardobkk May 20, 2015

Sounds good to me, I will see if the can do here in BKK and how much they would charge, I prefer original spare parts as well.

Question: How much would such kind of service be in US or Europe? Just for my orientation...

19. michaelmc May 20, 2015

Good purchase, trust you will get as much use as he did from it.

20. j.allen May 20, 2015

Al I'm sure that you would know; is there a noticeable difference between the brand vs generic as far as quality, clarity, fit, consistency, water resistance, etc?