Duxford 04/08/21 – 19 Squadron Spitfire celebration day – photo heavy

Today. But it's not an Me109, nor even a Bf109 -- it's a Hispano HA.1112-M1L Buchon.

Screenshot_20210824-164531.png

That is strange. That was the only info plaque I took a photo of during my trip / I thought it was great story. Not sure if the plane photo matches but it was in an active hanger with an oil tray. As an aside the Typhoon team were at it with a vengence on a few days ago. Not sure what was happening based on the height and airspeed (very slow / stall speed). Most of the action was between 3000 and 8000 Ft - must be one hell of a ride. Hoping to see the BBMF on Monday. Might be Cambridge way around 2pm......
Edited:

The Buchon is based on the Bf109 but with a critical difference that's obvious in almost any photo. The Bf had a Daimler-Benz 600/605/610 engine (apart from very, very early ones and some experimental fitments). That's an inverted V-12 with the crankshaft at the top and the exhausts at the bottom of the the engine cowling. The Buchon has a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine with the exhausts at the top.

The very first 109 prototype used a Rolls-Royce Kestrel VI V12 engine because the German engines were in development but not ready. So R-R engines were fitted to the first and last of the 109s and its derivatives.

Like 4
Great pictures. Thank you for sharing them. A trip to Duxford is on my bucket list. I also hope to get to Seething where my Dad was stationed.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....beer and avgas. I'll bet it had a pretty good kick to it!

Like 3
Sometimes this sort of thing gets me in the feels...today was no exception. Thanks for posting!

It must have been so weird to see 109s still flying in Europe in the '50s and '60s. How unusual.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....beer and avgas. I'll bet it had a pretty good kick to it!
For a fairly late-model Spitfire like this the fuel could have been 130 octane. Extra kick :eek:

Like 1