Forums Latest Members

Duties for items shipped into the USA

1. blubarb Oct 31, 2016

Can someone edumacate me on USA import duties - Australia has a threshold of AUD1,000 before duty is payable at 10% GST does the US have a similar threshold?

:thumbsdown:

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 31, 2016

With used/vintage watches, they are quite low, and in many cases not applied at all. It depends largely on the carrier (UPS is the worst; FedEx understands the rules; USPS only bothers with them for high value items).

Find a correct Harmonized Code, and use a "Breakout Sheet", where the values are broken down into case, movement and band.

Larry S and blubarb like this.
  3. demollo Oct 31, 2016

I sent couple of watches to US. I always used national carrier EMS service and never had any problems with the duties(it is handled by USPS in US). The duty is usually indeed quite low if applied form what it know. Around 5-6% of the decalred value. Here you have a good duty calculator:
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

gemini4, Larry S and blubarb like this.
  4. blubarb Oct 31, 2016

Haha...never used it...and this...??v:eek::thumbsdown:

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 8.03.24 PM.jpg

5. demollo Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, it used to be free for up to 3 calculations, but i guess no more ..

blubarb likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2016

That calculator is fairly inaccurate. First of all being charged is hit or miss . I've never been charged by the USPS. Never by DHL. And only once by FedEx. And even then it was lower than than the calculations would indicate on that site. A lot depends on the description provided by the seller. I've never heard of anyone being charged sales tax and the US does not have GST. The value of goods a US citizen can import into the US from abroad was recently increased from $200 to 800
    https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800

blubarb likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 31, 2016

Fed ex charges me 90 - 200 depending on declared value and I insist the seller declare what is paid. I prefer Fedex because I have complete visibility and can control delivery. The also are superb when resolving customs issues.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2016

They charge a brokerage fee too don't they?

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 31, 2016

Yes: (From an invoice on a watch from Italy for which I paid $4,936)
    $.90 for the movement +
    4.4% duty (Case) +
    .3464% Merch. Processing Fee ($17.10) +
    other ($7.90 - no detail) +
    Advancement Fee of $7.00 (Whatever that is) .=
    $81.17 - Short money.

It varies with watch value. Metal or leather bands. For instance the Rolex I just bought, they charged duty on movement. case and bracelet. I've not seen that invoice yet but we talked over the phone during the shipment process. Overall however they are charging peanuts for control, transparency and peace of mind. If there is a problem you get an e-mail and a call. Huge fan.

demollo likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2016

My experience too was that FedEx was more likely to charge you if you had an account with them.
    I let the account lapse and stopped getting charged, weird huh.

Larry S likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2016

GIYF...

FedEx® Advancement Fee:
    In some circumstances FedEx is required to pay certain duties and taxes in advance on our customers' behalf. For instance, FedEx may pay an advancement fee when countries require that duties and taxes be paid prior to customs' release or prior to certain items clearing customs. In these circumstances FedEx will assess an Advancement Fee surcharge that will be billed to the party designated to pay duties and taxes.

Larry S likes this.