Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2015

Hey vintage gang,

I've got a watch in for service, and the watchmaker is recommending that the pushers and crown be replaced. I understand why - mainly to keep bad stuff out of the case - but since it's a nice vintage piece, is dust and humidity more of a concern that correctness?

The area I live (Toronto) is notorious for very humid summers. Obviously, I'd never take an old speedy swimming..

So, are dust and humidity more of a concern than trying to keep the watch period correct?

Feedback appreciated!

Thanks,

J

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2015

What's the watch and are the modern replacements identical to the originals?

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2015

Speedy 321, so.. replacements? What replacements? ;)

I think the pushers are the same, but the crown not.

I could always keep the originals tucked away...

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 30, 2015

In all likelihood, the seals in the pushers can be replaced. If you have the crown replaced, you can always put the original one back on if you want.

5. Canuck May 30, 2015

I recently had an accident with my Speedmaster. I wrecked one pusher. I removed the components from the case except for the case tube, and ordered replacement components, assuming the individual bits would be available. Not so! They were able to supply a complete pusher unit, including the tube. So I replaced the complete unit. Hopefully, you will find the individual components available so you can re-use the original pushers. Elsewhere on this MB, Archer showed a rusted OSP which he restored to virtually new condition. You DO NOT want to be confronted by a challenge like that in an effort to salvage the original crown and pushers!

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2015

@Canuck, is that a vote to replace the pushers and crown? :)

Are dust and humidity the concerns here, or an unplanned dunk in the river/swimming pool/ocean?

7. TNTwatch May 30, 2015

Humidity is certainly a concern. Condensation can happen simply with your going in and out of an AC'ed environment.

lwong likes this.
  8. lwong May 30, 2015

That's a good point. I just recalled the case of a friend who visited an expensive sushi bar in tokyo - rested his left hand beside the refrigerator unit. After twenty minutes his (then) girlfriend asked, what's wrong with your watch? Turns out the crystal on the 1680 had fogged over from the inside. Needless to say, ruined his entire meal and he had to devote a couple months to finding someone whom he was comfortable with to get it ship shape once more.

9. Canuck May 30, 2015

If the case on your watch isn't AIR TIGHT, it isn't water resistant! You don't need to immerse the watch to cause it to leak. Suddenly chilling the watch (as is falling while skiing) cools the watch, melts the snow, and as a result, moisture is virtually sucked into the case as it chills. Take a chance and don't replace the pushers and the crown, or be safe and replace them! That's my vote. Spend a bit now, or possibly a bundle, later!

Giff2577 likes this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2015

Alrighty, message received.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

11. KIMBER May 30, 2015

Dust not much of a cause of alarm. Humidity a very large concern. Have it sealed up and store original parts for a latter date.

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 30, 2015

Replace and wear without worry.

13. Davidt May 31, 2015

Just to go against the grain slightly-I replaced the pushes and kept the crown. It's not overly warm or humid in yorkshire though!

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2015

My view is either choice is fine, as long as you understand the potential problems and act accordingly.

I service plenty of watches that either had no water resistance when they were new, or due to their condition have zero water resistance now, and they survive without issues. I have clients that choose to replace all the parts to seal the watch, and some that want it all original, so really it's up to you to decide what is right for you and your watch.

Cheers, Al