Forums Latest Members
  1. Muddlerminnow Dec 16, 2018

While looking closely at some Seamaster 120s, I noticed that the bezels are often missing the little white/ivory inserts at the top of the bezel, viz.:

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 8.32.28 AM.png

What are those inserts called? What are they made of? What is their purpose? And why do they have this nasty habit of absconding?

I've seen the empty holes patched with everything from what seems like lume to bubblegum--what gives?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 16, 2018

Lume pips for Rolex
    Lume capsule for Omega
    Lume pearl for bezel other brand

https://omegaforums.net/threads/lume-pearl-dot-fell-off-on-my-planet-ocean-8500-2-years-old.45165/

Had them fall of many a watch image.jpeg

Some Replacement will look like this and will need a bit of Lume placed inside before fitting
    image.jpeg
    Rolex ones look like below nowadays

image.jpeg

Older watches it's more like the watch you posted and below where it's just a ball of Lume and glue dropped in that wears out over time.

Below is a relume job done by @JimInOz several years ago for training where he done a Stella job on a Lume pip ( I call them pips )

image.jpeg

3. Muddlerminnow Dec 16, 2018

No wonder I couldn't find an answer when using the search function--I had all the wrong words--but now I have a basket-full: pip and capsule and pearl.

Thanks, very helpful getting the full story--.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 16, 2018

Some collectors refer to them as "nipples" as well.

5. Muddlerminnow Dec 16, 2018

Ohhh, I have some friends in London who would just LOVE the idea of lumed nipples. This could be a new underground craze, if it isn't already.

Joking aside, I appreciate the information. Thanks.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 16, 2018

Really the only dumb questions on OF are the ones asking about over-polished, redialed, franken-watches after they've been purchased.

justinz, STANDY and Tony C. like this.