Forums Latest Members

DSotM or GSotM to complement my PO LM LE

1. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Oct 9, 2015

OK. So, without wanting to annoy myself anymore it looks like the Silver Snoopy is not going to be coming my way.

So I'm thinking of reverting back to an earlier idea of either a Dark Side or a Grey Side to go with my Liquidmetal.

What do people think would be the best. The Dark Side which has the same black ceramic dial or the Grey Side because the look is so different?

Also, what OEM straps have people been putting on their DS/GS? Can you dress the DS up effectively and the GS down? I tend to wear my Liquidmetal on a rubber deployment these days (pic attached).

Finally, any idea when these two watches will start to have deployment straps as standard rather than the buckle?

image.jpeg
    Josh Bear and fskywalker like this.
  2. abrod520 Oct 9, 2015

My advice would be to see them in person. I tried on the Dark Side and was blown away by how sleek it looked, despite its actual size. I also loved the strap, so I would be wearing that as it came new. However, when I tried on the Grey Side, it turned me off - the dial was just a bit too sparkly for my tastes, though the satin finish on the case was excellent. I wouldn't have known how I felt about either without having them on my wrist! :)

3. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Oct 9, 2015

Don't worry I'm well past that, have had them both out to compare at the same time and my thought was 'both?'

Halldawg, Jwit and Superdoc like this.
  4. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Oct 9, 2015

Which is not an option by the way

5. abrod520 Oct 9, 2015

There are new examples available on the secondary market for ~40% markdowns.... watchrecon.com

... Both? :D

6. TheKomoman Oct 9, 2015

I had both in my hands yesterday and I love them both, but if I had to pick just one (and I don't even want to spend bank for 1 of them!) I'd go Gray Side. The Dark Side is badazz, very Darth Vader and can easily do the dressy thing as you indicated, but to my eye the gray is just gorgeous. I think a black leather strap might dress it up a bit but it's not a dress watch in the traditional sense. That wouldn't stop me from wearing it with anything. All the time!

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  7. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Oct 9, 2015

The 40% saving is one thing but I was just about to get the snoopy so even with 40% off one it's still more money than I was going to pay.......

8. jcmartinez98 Oct 9, 2015

I think the Darkside with the strap that comes with actually is a unique enough look that it could be worn with the tuxedo and still look stunning.

To me, it depends on how many watches you are going to own. If it's just these two, the DSOM and LMLE are similar enough dial-wise that I would probably opt for the grayside if you like that one a lot as well

9. falcon4311 Oct 9, 2015

I've had both on my wrist, I loved the dial on the GSOTM. That's that way I'd go.

Halldawg likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Oct 9, 2015

Neither is for me, but if I had to chose dark side. I just wouldn't wear the GS

11. sensui Oct 9, 2015

It's a hard decision I'm trying to make also....but I would do the grey side as you already have the similar finish on your PO. Stunning watch!

12. shutterlife Oct 9, 2015

I went with the GSOTM. Already have a black dial 300 diver. Wanted something different.

I was told the deployant will be out by November, but at the same time, there will be a price increase to 13,500. Or at least what I was told.

Either way, I don't think either would be a bad choice.

Halldawg likes this.
  13. Ozone1 Oct 9, 2015

I went with the GSOTM as well. This is my first "real watch" and I am enjoying every minute of it. I have been swapping out the straps to change up the look depending on where I am heading. I am looking at adding the Snoopy strap (black w/white stitch) as I think it would make the watch pop a bit too.

Here it with Hirsch leather strap on casual Friday.

GSOTM3.jpg
  14. chunkythebulldog Oct 9, 2015

I owned both but decided to sell the DS and kept the GS, great looking watch

image.png

Jwit, larryganz and sensui like this.
  15. yinzerniner Oct 9, 2015

After trying on both I'd go with the GSOTM, and was very close to purchasing one before other priorities got in the way. I believe the GSOTM is just a more versatile piece than the DSOTM due to the color combination. It also wears larger, which was kind of a bonus to me since I already have three Speedy Pros and was looking for a piece that would cover the larger end of my wearing spectrum. On a wizz-bang note, I actually really liked the extra lume on the tachymetre scale and crown, although I know it's quite gimmicky but hey, I'm a sucker for certain things....
    With that I'd echo the other sentiments in that you have to try both on before making your decision - personal preference trumps all.

16. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Oct 9, 2015

Starting to think the more metal-looking case of the Grey means it will go with more strap options

17. Ozone1 Oct 9, 2015

Here is the GSOTM on my DSOTM strap. I really like this too. Your preference may vary and you should certainly check them out at a AD or Boutique. TGIF Everyone.

GSOTM-DSOTM STRAP3.jpg
    ktc, Jaacck, chirojared and 5 others like this.
  18. TheKomoman Oct 9, 2015

Great pic, think it demonstrates well the GSOTM skewed towards the dressy side. One of the things I like most about the model (this thread is killing me) is how it looks different every time you see it.

ktc and Halldawg like this.
  19. Ozone1 Oct 9, 2015

Komoman, I agree. I am surprised at the lack of GSOTM pics on different straps. I have just recently made the purchase (from an AD) and will be adding additional straps to the piece over the next few months. I am looking to add a NATO strap (maybe the Bond strap) but thinking of adding a little red or even the Khaki Green. I am also looking at some Heuerville straps to add old English leather look to the watch.

Hands90 and ktc like this.
  20. yinzerniner Oct 9, 2015

I believe the issue with the lack of strap variation for the SOTM series is that Omega went with an abnormal lug width (21mm) as well as a weird buckle shape/size. While the ceramic tang buckle is really cool, the thick (~1mm) and wide (5mm) tang really doesn't work with many straps out there other than the DSOTM Cordura and GSOTM alligator. So anyone who wanted to change up the look had to find a 21mm strap (hard enough by itself) and use a buckle that didn't match the case. Only recently did they launch straps that can be used with their fantastic deploy clasp, so you might well see some more combinations on the WRUW posts.

rollee and TheKomoman like this.