Forums Latest Members
  1. weihl Jul 23, 2019

Does anyone know how the caseback on the DSOTM is attached to the case? The newer ceramic models like the Deep Black have the NAIAD Lock system for screw down alignment, but the DSOTM predated that. Thank you!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2019

Press fitted with a hard plastic gasket.

Als 27 and dinexus like this.
  3. weihl Jul 24, 2019

Thank you for the information!

4. Downer Jul 24, 2019

Archer - How do you feel about ceramic case+backs?(either press or screwed down). Thinking about buying a ceramic watch. Read a lot of opinions from consumers but wanted an opinion from someone who services them. Thanks

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2019

I don't service them, and I probably won't. For me the risk v reward in ceramic cases is just too much. Not that I think I'm going to break something, but there have been instances where damage is found that hasn't been associated with any specific impact. So for example upon removal of the strap, some people have found this:

[​IMG]

So if I get a watch in for service and find this, I don't want the ensuing hassles that may come from it.

Cheers, Al

phm14, dinexus, WatchShopping and 2 others like this.
  6. Bugbait Jul 25, 2019

Any guesses on what would even cause that? Looks like a slip while drilling the lug holes if that's even possible?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2019

My guess is it happened in use.

Als 27 likes this.
  8. Downer Jul 25, 2019

I was wondering about the durable of back/case. If eventually after repeated openings something is eventually going to fail. I hate to thing that the case is considered a wear item like a crown/tube.

9. PandaSPUR Jul 25, 2019

I would assume this wouldnt happen since the plastic gasket is much softer than ceramic.

10. dinexus Jul 25, 2019

I really want a GSOTM or the new ceramic/ti 300 but Archer's real-talk in this thread is tearing me apart.

[​IMG]

AntonisCy likes this.
  11. AntonisCy Jul 25, 2019

Classic :D

12. gerrya Jul 25, 2019

I just got a DSOTM and love it, I have Jewelers Mutual on all my watches anyway so even if it was completely indestructible I would still have the insurance, for that one time in my life the spring bar fails on a cruise and it goes overboard :(, or my house burns to the ground and I lose them all at once.

13. shutterlife Jul 25, 2019

I'm turned off by the ceramic cases. I have a GSOTM. Had a chip on a lug, luckily it was replaced for free. Then another chip, no luck on the second round. Not wearing it too much now.

14. Evitzee Jul 25, 2019

I think field damage with a ceramic case is overblown and people are needlessly worrying. I've had various ceramic cases over the years from various makers and have never had any problems, but I've never broken a sapphire crystal either, or dropped a watch putting it on or taking it off. Can a ceramic case be chipped, sure, but I don't think it's something most people would ever encounter. It wouldn't prevent me from buying a ceramic case.....I have two Omega ceramic cases now and am not worried abut damaging them. But if you are worried about it, and if it will keep you from wearing it and enjoying it, just stay clear for your own peace of mind.

15. WiZARD Jul 25, 2019

Do you know how those happened?

I'm really thinking on getting a new Seamaster with ceramic case. But after posts like this... :(

16. Downer Jul 25, 2019

To service the watch, the back is going to have to be removed. Would that stress eventually lead to failure?

17. shutterlife Jul 25, 2019

I'm sure it bumped into something. I don't baby my watches.

18. PandaSPUR Jul 25, 2019

My point is that the plastic gasket is the buffer so its always just plastic pushing against ceramic. It should be fine.

Sheesh.. well one month with my GSotM so far and not a single mark.
    Sapphire is just as brittle (or more brittle?) than ceramic, so if anything that domed crystal is just as risky.

gerrya likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2019

But maybe 1/10th the price to replace compared to a new case...

stuart70 and AntonisCy like this.
  20. axl911 Jul 25, 2019

Wow. What happened??? Can you post pics of the chip(s)???