Forums Latest Members

Drunk purchase... was it a bad one? (ie. fake, unoriginal)

1. lyoo Nov 7, 2017

Hi All,

I've been obsessed with the Speedy Reduced 3510.50 for a few weeks and had been watching a few items on eBay. I was messaging the seller back and forth while I was out for drinks with some friends... towards the end of the night, I ended up pulling the trigger on this watch.

Prior to becoming inebriated, the seller assured me that the watch was all original, recently overhauled, keeping time within 2-4 seconds per day and unpolished. These statements probably made me more confident in this purchase than I should have been. He also stated that I would be assured a full refund without re-stocking fee if I found the watch to be unauthentic. Lastly, he said that he could not open the watch up to show the movement, but told me it was serviced by JB Jewelers in San Diego. I called the store and they did confirm that they could service these watches (how well, I am not sure).

I think this guy might be the seller: https://www.freelancer.com/u/manabusd

The watch has been shipped and should be delivered on Thursday. However, I was beginning to get nervous upon going through this seller's reviews. It seems they have sold a few Speedy Reduced watches recently, which at first sounded comforting, then I thought that maybe that was a bad sign. Also, I just found out that my local Omega (Vancouver, BC) dealer cannot confirm authenticity without it being sent to Toronto.

Here is the listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Just-over-h...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I've also attached 2 extra pictures that he provided me.

Any feedback on:
    1. whether I should be nervous
    2. if I should be nervous, what I should look out for when receiving my watch
    3. what steps I can take to authenticate the originality of the watch

Thanks all. I will definitely be more cautious next time and not go drinking with a decision like this in the air.

speedy1.jpg speedy2.jpg
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 7, 2017

Did he (or can he) provide a receipt proving service?

Also, I am in San Diego. I looked up this jeweler. Do they have a watchmaker on site? I would suspect they would farm this out. It looks more like a jeweler and they change batteries in watches

lyoo, ac106 and X350 XJR like this.
  3. imagwai Nov 7, 2017

It's a genuine Speedy Reduced. You can tell that from the pictures. Has it been polished. Mmm, not sure, but maybe. Looks OK though. Has it been serviced well? Impossible to say. But as long as it keeps good time when it arrives I wouldn't worry.

lyoo likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 7, 2017

1) – yes, one should always be nervous after buying a watch while drunk. And the degree of nervousness should increase sharply when the watch costs four-figures. :D

Larry S, Speedy_Gonzales and lyoo like this.
  5. lyoo Nov 7, 2017

I was also nervous about this based on their lack of web presence. But calling in, they said they serviced mechanical watches and said they had a watchmaker. He did not provide a receipt of servicing.

Taddyangle likes this.
  6. lyoo Nov 7, 2017

I concur. The last time I do this, that's for sure!

7. lyoo Nov 7, 2017

Thanks, your feedback is reassuring.

Out of curiosity, what were you looking at that gave you confidence of the authenticity? (so that I can review as well upon receipt of the actual watch)

8. Honza Nov 7, 2017

Agree

I did it on more than one occasion, fortunately I know the seller which always deliver and all the watches I got while not being totally sober are great.

lyoo likes this.
  9. imagwai Nov 7, 2017

I've owned a couple of these and never seen a convincing fake of this model.

Check the crystal when it arrives. Should have a small Omega logo in the middle (although not having one doesn't mean the watch is fake, just that a non-OEM crystal has been used at service. As I say, the watch is genuine).

lyoo likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 7, 2017

Never Never Never ... Bid while drunk.

lyoo likes this.
  11. dan7800 Nov 7, 2017

Who has ever made a bad decision while drunk. C'mon

So when you mistakenly buy a "franken watch" while hammered, is it a DRUNK DIAL???::facepalm1::

lyoo, SteveZ28 and kkt like this.
  12. tudor66 Nov 7, 2017

I think I emailed the seller when he had this on Craigslist. He seemed up front and honest when I asked about the watch.

lyoo likes this.