Forums Latest Members

Dropped watch and chronograph movement pins popped out

1. andybcrx Aug 17, 2016

Hi all,

I had unfortunate accident and dropped my watch on the industrial carpet at work. Good news no cracking or dents.

Watch is still running however the top chronograph button starts and resets the chronograph second hand instead of requiring bottom pusher. I didn't realize the cause until I looked at the display back and saw some pins popped out.

Anyone have an idea of how much a repair would cost? I am considering mailing to Nesbits or walking down to downtown SF and find an indy watch dealer.

Any recommendations or advice appreciated!

S20160817_0004.jpg S20160817_0003.jpg S20160817_0002.jpg S20160817_0001.jpg
    Edited Aug 17, 2016
  2. AveConscientia Aug 17, 2016

So sorry for you

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 18, 2016

First, if you haven't already - Hack (stop) the watch immediately by pulling out the winding crown, and don't wear it until it can be repaired. Nothing good can happen from those pins floating around in the movement.

No way to say how much it will cost - could be something else damaged or needing adjustment/parts, so I'd figure at least on the cost of a full service. Could have been worse! Good luck with the fix. :thumbsup:

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 18, 2016

If you're handy with circlip pliers and eyebrow tweezers you can do it yourself and save money.

(Sorry, in joke).

Do what that man ^^^^ said ASAP.

You may be unhappy with the cost, but the satisfaction from having a reliable, serviced watch will last longer.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

The part in question is the "stem bolt for hammer" and it's broken in 2. The good news is the part is a $10 sort of part, and since you can see both halves of the broken one, it should just be a matter of opening the case back, removing the 2 parts, and installing a new one. This of course assumes the watch does not already need a service.

I would lay the watch dial up and leave it alone until you can take it to a shop - you don't want either of those parts to work their way into the movement - trust me going fishing for them can often involve taking the entire movement part, and that will mean a full service...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

andybcrx likes this.
  6. andybcrx Aug 18, 2016

Thanks Al and all!

At least now I know what I'm looking at. :D

Will figure out next week who to send to to get this working smoothly again.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

Non hacking movement by the way, just in case someone refers to this thread in the future...

EtherMan, andybcrx and Foo2rama like this.