Forums Latest Members
  1. lukajur First floor resident. Apr 8, 2016

Dear All,

This morning as I was putting on Speedmaster, the manual wind with hesalite crystal, the biggest fear of every watch owner came true, I dropped it.

However, having fallen about 1,5m from my dresser to a hardwood floor, I couldn't notice any damage on the case, or in the movement, as the watch continues to run pretty well, and all the functions work.

I am still stressed out though, that these might be an issue that I'm not noticing, which could cause troubles with the movement. Do you think I am over thinking this? Im basically asking for advice on what to do. Bring it to Omega? Or just keep it the way it is until, and if, problems arise?

Kind Regards,
    Luka

mokofoko likes this.
  2. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 8, 2016

Remember the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" No smoke/fire or strange noises? It's probably fine. You can test it to see if it's keeping time within the acceptable range for your caliber. As long as it appears to be operating normally, I'd pretend it never happened. I'm sure moonwatches have survived worse than that.

OMGRLX and EtherMan like this.
  3. lukajur First floor resident. Apr 8, 2016

Thanks! That was exactly what I've been thinking, but you know how it is, its nice to get reassurance. I will check the timekeeping and update this thread live. For now I think I will adapt your strategy though and pretend it never happened. :)

4. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 8, 2016

It helps to have the memory of a goldfish

[​IMG]

OMGRLX, lukajur and VillageIdiot like this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2016

Do you live on the second floor by any chance?

WatchVaultNYC, OMGRLX, Garv and 2 others like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2016

When a watch is dropped, what the potential damage is will depend on how it hits - what part of the watch and how the watch is oriented in relation to the balance wheel specifically. Generally if there is going to be a problem, you will see it quite soon.

If the watch is running well, all functions work, nothing seems loose - you are probably fine, and it might be a good day to pick up a lottery ticket.

travisrock, lando, OMGRLX and 8 others like this.
  7. Bushido Apr 8, 2016

And more importantly, share with the forum what numbers you picked!

8. Hijak Apr 8, 2016

This is some of the worst advice I've seen on this forum:eek:...

9. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 8, 2016

You're welcome to your own opinion of course, but Archer said above that it's likely fine (if it's functioning normally... isn't that what I said?)--and I'd take his advice any day. If he had an assessment contrary to my common-sense statement, I'd happily remove my post.

The first 3 sentences clearly don't apply to ALL things. That was just me saying "Hey, calm down, it's functional so it may be fine. Time to test it for accuracy--and failing that, a trip to a good watchmaker."

Edited Apr 8, 2016
  10. Malik713 Apr 8, 2016

You need to have a better system when handling your watches. I dropped a Bell & Ross watch on ceramic tile and it damaged the lug so I couldn't remove the screw. It was under warranty and the company fixed it for me for free, "this one time as a favor." Now, I won't take off my watch or handle it unless I am over my bed or sitting down over carpet to minimize damage "just in case."

I also only do deployants now.

Good luck in the future.

stiofan, Mad Dog and lukajur like this.
  11. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 8, 2016

But not quite as bad as suggesting that a noob use of pliers to remove a caseback....

lando and ulackfocus like this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2016

I think he's got you there Ed.

13. lukajur First floor resident. Apr 9, 2016

No. I live on the first. But I doubt you remember that you made this same joke the first time I posted here. :)

ulackfocus, OMGRLX and STANDY like this.
  14. lukajur First floor resident. Apr 9, 2016

Thanks Archer. Nice to see you back, and thanks for the advice. After a day it looks like the watch is running fine. So I caught a lucky brake there. :)

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2016

Think he needs a "lives on the first floor" to remind you @ulackfocus

ahartfie and lukajur like this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 9, 2016

Surprised it didn't get damaged. Are you sure your floor isn't softwood?

dougiedude likes this.
  17. lukajur First floor resident. Apr 9, 2016

Actually it might be soft wood. Im not so sure about this. English isnt my first language.

18. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2016

They make blue pills for that. :D

Something along those lines for sure...... it was either "Moved down stairs to the first floor" or "First floor resident", and one was too long so he got what he got.

Badwolf, ahartfie, Nitzbar and 4 others like this.
  19. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2016

I will now that I've put a reminder that's easy to see each time you post.

STANDY and lukajur like this.
  20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 9, 2016

that ... I learned the same lesson after dropping a vintage Rolex on concrete floor when putting it on ... now I exclusively put them on standing over the bed

lukajur likes this.