Forums Latest Members

Dropped Speedmaster FOIS running fast..

1. JohnnyP Mar 18, 2017

Yesterday I dropped my watch from about 1 meter onto laminate flooring. Initially worried but considering the watch didn't hit the floor with force and had no visible damage I scooped it up and went about my day.. However this morning I awoke to find it running 10 seconds fast per minute. Searching through Internet forums for similar incidents I came across a post stating that sometimes the hairspring can get caught when a watch is dropped/ knocked and that tapping it with two fingers on the caseback will release it.. Safe to say it worked. Has anyone else incurred this problem? And do you think there will be future issues? Cheers if anyone replies..

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2017

You should slow down, safer

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2017

The watch may be fine, or the balance spring could now be distorted. If you notice any timing that is different than from before the drop, get it looked at.

Cheers, Al

JohnnyP likes this.
  4. j.allen Mar 18, 2017

Hopefully just the regulator moved (maybe) but a slight hairspring adjustment is simple by someone who knows what they are doing. Or it's hung up or sticking together. I sleep with my watch on and learned when I shower to place it on the floor. I've dropped a watch once, (well maybe twice) and I bent the bejusus out of the balance pivot. Fortunately I was able to straighten it without breaking it.