Forums Latest Members

Dropped my vintage Omega Constellation. The crystal popped out but everything else seems ok...

1. Perrier Aug 13, 2017

Hi all

As the title says, I dropped my vintage Omega Constellation. The crystal popped out but everything else seems ok.

There's some sort of metal loop which popped out too. (It keeps the crystal in place?)

So now I have a watch with no crystal.

What's the best way to deal with this - just carefully bring it to (any?) watch repairman who can re-attach the crystal?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 13, 2017

Bring it to a watchmaker who is familiar with vintage watches.

Replacing the crystal is easy, inspecting the rest of the watch for damage isn't.
    gatorcpa

Perrier and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. No.15 Aug 13, 2017

4. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 13, 2017

Place the watch in a zip lock bag, and add one of those dessicant (oxygen absorbtion) packets. This will keep the moisture away from the dial and movement. Then take it your watchmaker along with crystal - ask them to have a check of the watch whilst reattaching the crystal. Parts may have had some impact (particularly the balance/hairspring.)

The metal would be the tension ring - this keeps the crystal locked under pressure when it is fitted. If the crystal pops this will naturally come out. Crystal replacements will have the tension ring preinstalled, so leave it to your watchmaker if you don't have the tools.

Perrier likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2017

You should be able to put the crystal back in (without installing the tension ring) to protect the dial and hands. If the crystal is loose, use some tape to hold it in place temporarily. Then get it to a trusted watchmaker, who can take care of the rest...