Dropped my Speedmaster and cracked the crystal, but Omega want to charge me 800 usd, advice

A friend of mine had the crystal of his speedy replaced after dropping the watch. Omega replaced the crystal, seals and pushers for around 300€.

I don’t think they can force you to do a full service if you don’t want to.

Apparently there's a lot of damage inside the movement if they're ordering parts, so I'd probably prefer to get it fixed. It's weird they're not charging me for any of it though.

Apparently there's a lot of damage inside the movement if they're ordering parts, so I'd probably prefer to get it fixed. It's weird they're not charging me for any of it though.
Did they actually tell you that they weren't going to charge you?

Did they actually tell you that they weren't going to charge you?

Yes, they did. They said because it's been delayed they're not even charging me for the damaged crystal. Just the service. I have that in writing.

Yes, they did. They said because it's been delayed they're not even charging me for the damaged crystal. Just the service. I have that in writing.
Seems like you lucked out. Now you just have to wait.

A replacement crystal is included in the cost of a full service. Omega routinely change them on the Hesalite models.
Edited:

A replacement crystal is included in the cost of a full service. Omega routinely change them on the Hesalite models.

Because the crystal got damaged by me dropping it, I originally had to pay for it in addition to the service.

When I dropped my SM, Omega charged me $1370 that included crystal,
in other words crystal is included in price of service

OK well my original bill was 25000 ntd for the service and 3600 for the crystal, so 28600 in total.

They told me they've got the parts now but it's going to be 6-8 weeks till I get the watch back.

My watchmaker in Vernon Hills is authorized to work on Omega's. There are others. Just get the crystal replaced. Hopefully no other issues.

So I just got my watch back from Omega. I'd made a complaint about the watch making a weird scraping noise when I wound it up like 6 months ago and was told no big deal. Here's the list of parts they replaced.

1000005873.jpg

玻璃 means glass, 底蓋膠圈 is a bottom cover rubber ring. They also polished it, which pissed me off, but it doesn't seem to have altered the look of the watch noticeably. Here's a before and after pic.

1000005874.jpg
1000005875.jpg
Edited:

Good watchmakers have sources for parts. Should’ve just found one with good reviews and let it happen. Shouldn’t negatively impact the warranty one bit.

Good watchmakers have sources for parts. Should’ve just found one with good reviews and let it happen. Shouldn’t negatively impact the warranty one bit.
If the repair was done by a non certified Omega repairer the warranty is gone.

If the repair was done by a non certified Omega repairer the warranty is gone.
In the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act might disagree.

So I just got my watch back from Omega. I'd made a complaint about the watch making a weird scraping noise when I wound it up like 6 months ago and was told no big deal. Here's the list of parts they replaced.

1000005873.jpg

玻璃 means glass, 底蓋膠圈 is a bottom cover rubber ring. They also polished it, which pissed me off, but it doesn't seem to have altered the look of the watch noticeably. Here's a before and after pic.

1000005874.jpg
1000005875.jpg
Glad you got it back. If anyone were to polish it, Omega would be the ones to do it as they do excellent case work. And now you have a new warranty! Silver lining.

The reason NOT to send a watch to Omega for service is that they are going to perform the work that THEY think is appropriate and necessary. To that end, they will often ignore instructions from the owner of the watch, even if those instructions are in writing, which specify the work to be performed. This generally isn't a problem with a modern Omega watch and I agree with JwRosenthal that Omega does a good job with case restoration work because they have the proper equipment to do it correctly. That being said, I wouldn't send a vintage watch to them for service because radium and tritium dials and handsets are generally replaced as a matter of course no matter what the owner wants..

Just checked my watch and it's now gaining 12 seconds a day, when it was gaining around 3.5 to 4 seconds a day. So it may need to get returned to omega to get it regulated properly. Also, the weird scraping noise is back too.