Forums Latest Members

Drilled Lugs Bracelet Fitting (Advice Please)

1. Matt-C Dec 26, 2017

Hi all

I have recently bought my son a watch that has drilled lugs and a bracelet fitted. I had no problem removing the spring bars when he wanted a strap fitted. This was a rubber strap with cut outs to allow my spring bar tool (Bergeron 6767F) to fit onto the ‘shoulders’ on the spring bars no problem.

However when I tried refitting the bracelet I had lots of problems. The bracelet end links have no cut outs for the tool and clearly there must be a ‘knack’ (which I don’t have!!) to holding both ends of the spring bar in to allow it to drop into place. There isn’t quite enough space to allow me to tilt one side of the end link into place to allow me to work on just one side. (If that makes sense)

Any fitting tips would be greatly appreciated, I haven’t had this issue before as the other solid end links I have there is a cut out for the spring bar tool. Are spring bar pliers the way to go?

Many thanks
    Matt

Nathan1967 likes this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 26, 2017

Pictures please

3. jimmyd13 Dec 26, 2017

Put the spring bar into the bracelet; place one end into the hole on one lug; compress the bar into the bracelet and push the bracelet between the lugs, from underneath. A very thin spring bar tool works well for this. I have a Bergeon tool but find that the dirt cheap and bendable one I also have works better for this.

At least for the first few times you try this, tape the flat of the lugs with some masking tape or similar to prevent inadvertent scratches. Once you get the knack, these are easy to swap out. When removing the spring bar, use a small pin removal tool (or even a sewing pin) and press into the drilled holes while gently pulling down on the strap/bracelet and covering the end that you're releasing with the tip of your finger. (Does that make sense?).

Edit: re-reading, I realised you said you can't 'tilt' in the bracelet ... can you show a photo of what you're dealing with?

Edited Dec 26, 2017
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2017

I’d go buy shouldered new springbars. How old are the shoulderless ones?

5. Matt-C Dec 26, 2017

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I guess it’s just a case of getting the hang of it. The watch is a new 2017 Seiko with a ‘turtle’ case and fat spring bars with shoulders.

The angle of the end link seems quite steep compared to anything else I have and the fit is such that getting one end to stay in place while inserting the other is is very tricky. I don’t seem to be able to hold everything in quite the right place yet.

I’ll continue to tape the lugs and keep practicing :)

Thanks again.