Forums Latest Members

Doxa Watches, Where Do They Fit In?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 6, 2015

Where do the vintage Doxa models fit into the pecking order of watch brands?

[​IMG]

This is a well-mannered Doxa of unknown year of manufacture which has proven to be a great time-keeper once serviced. The 14 kt rose gold case is fairly heavy for the watch's size. The watch could be attractive but for the dial's patina which looks perhaps a bit worse still when viewed in person rather than in this amateur photo. I've thought to have the dial redone but have never investigated a refinisher. A little patina goes a long way with me and I haven't yet achieved the ability to appreciate it to the extent that so many true watch mavens do.

Are there any other Doxa watches out there that could be shown here? Can anyone share any Doxa information or lore?

2. redpcar Mar 6, 2015

They are definitely increasing in popularity. It is a name that most people know and that is a huge help. The Doxa's that I own(ed) are from the '40s to late '50s. Decent quality of movements but not exceptional. Construction is average (some even pretty cheesy). My opinion is the dress watches from this era fall into the mid-mainstream category. The upside is their cases are almost always large for the era. Military type watches are well made as are the divers. Usually easy service but dials have never held up to the test of time. All my dials have dramatically deteriorated compared to yours.

noelekal likes this.
  3. SeanO Mar 7, 2015

the classic Doxa (anti-magnetic) is a nice but cheap manual winder. They have a lot of dial for the size and the cases fit the wrist nicely and don't draw a lot of attention to themselves.

I have a stainless steel one in the 33-34mm size and it has come down the ages very nicely. The dial is a similar colour to yours but with the 369 pattern.

noelekal likes this.