Forums Latest Members

Doxa - "antimagnetique" or "antimagnetic"?

1. NT931 Sep 30, 2017

So I'm started getting curious about vintage time-only Doxas, especially in the bigger cases, and after posts like these and these.

Started looking at the bay and found some labelled "antimagnetique", some "antimagnetic". In the 2 forum examples hyperlinked above, it was "-que" so I thought ending in "-ic" meant these were redials.

Then I found a few patinated ones that had "-ic"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In contrast, there are some ending in "-ic" which I'm pretty sure are redials:
    [​IMG]

Which has now gotten me confused - are the "-ic" ones perhaps older redials, which explains the patina and the spelling? Or were both spellings acceptable? Were these sold to different countries, hence the variation?

I appreciate this is a fairly obscure brand, but if anyone can shed some light, it would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited Sep 30, 2017
  2. Vitezi Sep 30, 2017

Other firms, notably Tissot, also used the 'antimagnetique' appellation on their manual-wind watches. I assume Tissot chose the French spelling as it is the dominant language in the Jura region of Switzerland where Swiss watchmaking firms reside. The 'antimagnetique' attribute was heavily advertised and promoted in the 1940s, and Tissot generally used that term worldwide.

However in the UK, Tissot used 'non magnetic' instead. I suspect Doxa might have followed a similar approach, and anglicized the 'anti-magnetique' into anti-magnetic for sale into English-speaking markets.

bubba48 likes this.
  3. NT931 Sep 30, 2017

That makes sense, thanks very much !

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 30, 2017

Not as old as some above, but still vintage and in gold
    Still has original strap
    image.jpeg

Vitezi likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 30, 2017

A Doxa lives here. It's a nice-wearing 36mm watch in a 14kt rose gold case.

[​IMG]

Vitezi likes this.
  6. NT931 Oct 1, 2017

Thanks guys, keep the Doxas coming!

One thing I haven't yet worked out is the large variation in font styles in the word 'Doxa'. I can't tell if they're redials, even with some patina.

An example being this one. Love the dial, not so sure about the 'Doxa'. I suspect older redial given the slightly smudgy text, and that 'Doxa' is off-centre to the left?
    RG Doxa 1.jpg RG doxa 2.jpg

7. ConElPueblo Oct 1, 2017

The "swiss made" would, IMO, be a better place to look for signs of redialing...

8. NT931 Oct 3, 2017

Thanks everyone! I also found some info on vintage Doxas, and I'm leaving the link here for future readers