Forums Latest Members

Double Red - Is it Legit?

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 11, 2015

I bought this, from a trusted watchmaker, so can go back if we find a problem. Please don't be shy, I would like to know what people think. It is a very good dial, a worn case - so I can wear it without worry - if it is a real one.

My concern is that there is no serial in the case back. The history is that it is a one owner watch - but that does not always mean much. My research has shown that some very late 5.2m serial double reds did not have the serial inside the case back.

What say the experts?

1-P5110008.jpg 1-P5110009.jpg 1-P5110010.jpg 1-P5110012.jpg 1-P5110017.jpg 1-P5110026.jpg
    Any thoughts much appreciated.

2. xcentric May 11, 2015

nice, and if you want to part with it..... (but I have not enough knowledge to say if it's genuine)

3. Slevin kelevra May 11, 2015

4. Slevin kelevra May 11, 2015

In fact, I am wrong....

Quote from above site....

Most DRSD have a caseback with ROLEX written across the caseback, including the patent pending models. There is a small number of transition examples, usually in the 5.1-5.2 range that will have ROLEX written around the caseback.

Its also equally important to see inside the caseback. The model number is should be engraved along with the serial number or partial serial numbers. The early models had the last three digits of the serial. The later models had the full serial number engraved. This is much more important with the transitional models. Some also had a stamp/engraving of the production date ie II 72, indicating second quarter of 1972, etc..

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/drsd-buyers-guide.html

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 11, 2015

Yes I have checked that site that said ALL DR's have the serial inside, and then when hunting around I see that several examples confirmed as genuine do not have serials.

Otherwise that site is burning into my brain, its brilliant!

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  6. calalum May 11, 2015

On such a serious purchase I would visit VRF. Amazing knowledge there. Good luck.

lenny and Slevin kelevra like this.
  7. Slevin kelevra May 11, 2015

8. lwong May 11, 2015

Given my limited insight I would second going to VRF, but add that I would ask if the bezel pearl was a replacement as there's no aging it seems; and also, ask why the bottom left lug looks unusually gone over as opposed to the rest (or maybe it's just the lighting on the last pic).

Beyond that (and having read VRF/VRM for a couple years in hopes of landing a rolex), I confess I can't see anything wrong - so depends on asking price.

9. Slevin kelevra May 11, 2015

I too think the lugs look polished for sure but William had stated that he is aware of that already.

Much like Speedmasters you need to pay close attention to the Dial and Bezel. The hands are a different colour from the lune plots so straight away you have to investigate that. I do know that sometimes the hands can age to a different colour to the lume plots on the dial but obviously something worth paying closer attention to.

10. Drawarms May 11, 2015

hand lume color looks a bit off to the rest of the watch, but that could just mean they might be replaced, no biggie- fantastic watch man! All i would care about is that dial!

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 11, 2015

Have a picture of the inner caseback?

12. erpin9 May 12, 2015

Beautiful watch. Wear it in good health.

13. omitohud May 17, 2015

Beautiful mark 4 dial with probably original hands n mark 3 FF insert. The hands usually r darker than the dial lume on vintage. As to the caseback, its possible during transition period but i would b cautious. It depends on the price i guess.