Forums Latest Members
  1. Bond007 Jan 13, 2017

I'm a new member and wanted to post a brief intro, but most of all I wish to thank everyone for these forums. I've read them for some time and they've proved extremely helpful to me time and again.

I recently got my first Omega, a Bond Aqua Terra (it's especially beautiful in the flesh, and quite discreet too), and to my amazement I was in the right place at the right time and was one of the lucky ones who got to reserve a gorgeous Speedy Tuesday Speedmaster.

(I also can't believe the username "Bond007" wasn't already taken.) :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for lots of helpful advice. I'm sure I'll keep finding many answers to my questions from this passionate community.

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 13, 2017

Welcome to OF! Enjoy your new watch and post pictures ASAP! WE NEED PICTURES::rant:

There is also a thread about tracking stole LE numbers for the speedy Tuesday LE... maybe check that out and possible get involved in that process(if it is actually happening).

--Jake

Bond007, oddboy and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Bond007 Jan 13, 2017

Many thanks, Jake! I'll see if I can take decent photos, though I doubt they'll be any better than the ones already online.

I did get an Omega navy blue alligator band to go along with the bracelet and the nylon band. If I can trust myself to switch over from the bracelet I'll be happy to post pics since I don't think this combination is anywhere online!

(P.S. After creating this thread I discovered there's a giant intro thread for posts like mine. The moderators should certainly feel free to move these posts there.)

Jwit likes this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 13, 2017

Welcome!

Avatar and friendly post without uncles? Instant brownie points! ... You have class Mr bond :thumbsup:

Now if you could just post a pic, that would make it to on the newbie of the year awards...;)

Edited Jan 13, 2017
    Buckeyes#1, Bond007 and oddboy like this.
  5. flw history nerd Jan 13, 2017

Welcome aboard! Lots of Bond fans here (even some, I think, who - unlike me - won't admit it). More than a few, including me, whose first new "good" watch was a Seamaster Diver, Bond style. I have one, as well as a Seamaster 300 ... they're addicting. Pics, please!

watchme and Bond007 like this.
  6. cvrle1 Jan 13, 2017

Welcome, and congrats on great purchase! Which model and size is it?

1 day I was bored at work, and this looked like an interesting pic to take at the time

IMG_20161215_091420.jpg

watchme, Bond007, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  7. Bond007 Jan 13, 2017

You're all genuinely kind! I really appreciate the warm welcome.

007 reporting for duty. Here's a "spy shot" for now... :cool:

IMG_0477.JPG
    TheKomoman and oddboy like this.
  8. Bond007 Jan 14, 2017

This is what inspired me to get this particular watch! This was an impromptu photo taken in front of the Omega Boutique in Florence, just for fun. (I just corrected my typo "just for run," which is maybe more accurate, as it was a spontaneous trip to run the Florence Marathon.)

The funny thing is how one thing led to another... eventually leaving me 6 grand lighter but truly enjoying this gorgeous, chameleon-like timepiece. A couple guys on my triathlon team (I'm very much an amateur but have made it through two Ironmans without dying) offered me a starting spot in someone else's place. It wasn't possible to change the name so I ran under an assumed identity (a good excuse to run a slow time). ;) After we passed the Omega store and snapped this photo, my "secret identity" was a running gag and my friends henceforth called me "Mr. Bond." From then on I knew this Aqua Terra had to be "the one." (That the other Spectre edition was sold out eased my decision.)

Now I may be revealing too much, but in real life I actually do have a "secret identity" unknown even to me, which I didn't even know about for most of my life. This has led me to become an activist for identity as a human right. I've since given a TED talk on this topic and am now working with diplomatic organizations toward legal changes.

So this watch has quite a bit of sentimental meaning to me. I wear it for all my secret missions! :cool:

P.S. I titled this photo "Bonding Agents." :)

bonding_agents.jpg
  9. smitty190373 Jan 14, 2017

Welcome 007... great photo :thumbsup:

Bond007 likes this.
  10. Bond007 Jan 15, 2017

Well, I don't exactly have movie star looks, but I appreciate the sentiment. I can always pretend! :)

smitty190373 likes this.
  11. Poppydog Jan 16, 2017

"I actually do have a "secret identity" unknown even to me, which I didn't even know about for most of my life."

Eh? If it's ' "secret" ', how do you know about it? Sounds a bit sinister:cautious:

Bond007 likes this.
  12. Bond007 Jan 19, 2017

I switched the bracelet to try out the nylon strap. Turns out it was actually quite easy, thanks to some very helpful YouTube videos. As long as you work from the back of the watch and hold it firmly while pressing only gently with the pin removal tool, I'm very happy to report it's pretty simple and risk-free.

I haven't seen any photos of this model with a leather strap online, so I thought I'd upload one. Although I have yet to try this combination on the wrist, I did take a photo of the navy blue alligator strap with this watch on a table (sans clasp). This makes for an elegant touch! I really like how the Aqua Terra can dress for any occasion depending on the band: nylon for a sporty look, polished and brushed steel bracelet for an elegant sporty look, leather for a dressier look.

Like many great watches, the photos fail to do it justice. The dial makes this a very dynamic watch in real life, as it changes rather dramatically depending on the type and angle of light.

IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0514.JPG
  13. U5512 Jan 19, 2017

Welcome to OF!!!

Bond, James Bond or 007, was famous with the Rolex brand and its Submariner no date model, and not so much with the modern Omega Seamaster he was wearing in movies.

Bond007 likes this.
  14. Shibata Jan 19, 2017

Welcome! Thats a beautiful watch. I saw one in the case at my local Omega dealer the other day. Pictures don't do it justice. Enjoy it.
    Also please feel free to cancel your Speedy Tuesday order so I can move one spot closer on the waiting list :unsure:

Bond007 likes this.
  15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 19, 2017

Ok! that nylon strap is gooooooood. Completes the look much better.

Bond007 likes this.
  16. Bond007 Jan 20, 2017

We modern double 0's prefer to fly under the radar. ;)

Jwit likes this.
  17. Bond007 Jan 20, 2017

I think I'll be wearing it on the nylon strap most of the time. I love the steel bracelet too but found myself constantly worried about accumulating scratches, like the "micro-abrasions" jet black iPhone 7 users were complaining about. (I'm so careful with this watch. What can possibly scratch it? Air? The fabric from my shirt sleeve?)

I also love how understated the nylon strap makes it look.

Jwit likes this.
  18. Bond007 Jan 20, 2017

Speaking of understated, not a single person in the real world has complimented me on my watch so far! It's like my little secret, something nice I get to appreciate but don't want to show off. (It's hard to do that with a Rolex.)

This weekend a friend of a friend did suddenly shout, "Your watch!" Then he grabbed my wrist to take a closer look. I was all ready for the glowing compliment by someone "in the know" when he nervously exclaimed, "It's almost 4 o'clock! I gotta run."

Seriously, he just wanted to know the time. :)

kkt and Jwit like this.
  19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 20, 2017

Are you talking about your avatar here?

kingsrider and Bond007 like this.
  20. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 20, 2017

For the record, that is not me in my Avatar. I wouldn't be caught dead in Canary Yellow. When in my one piece, it's lifeguard red only. Go big or go home.

Bond007 likes this.