Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnSteed Oct 28, 2014

... says Max Bernardini to Departures

image.jpg

SpikiSpikester and TNTwatch like this.
  2. bupdyke Oct 28, 2014

Now that’s very good advice!

3. ulackfocus Oct 28, 2014

The problem I have with those couple paragraphs is that there are deals to be had - but not until after you pay your dues. The n00b tax in this hobby can be fiercly expensive. You pay extra to buy what you think is an authentic original vintage watch from a dealer only to find out you got screwed.

You guys really don't understand how easy it's become with the internet and hobby forums. The last 5 years has seen a proliferation of watch forums. Some have since vanished...... but the good ones attract the experienced veterans. The knowledge is mostly there for the asking as compared to 6+ years ago (especially 10+ years ago) before the web explosion.

4. speedbird Oct 28, 2014

I enjoyed the last paragraph

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 29, 2014

Couldn't agree more on this point.

Nearly fifteen years on eBay I've bought my fair share of shit, but anyone here who knows me has seen the plums I still pick off the tree.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

That's really it, at a certain point you can take a calculated gamble if you believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Critically though when you do, if you get the math wrong and get burned you don't get to use the sad face smilie and complain about it.

I've fished some great pieces out of countries many people would shudder to think of buying from, also bought watches that were missing 70% of their movements on delivery or in far worse condition than expected but you calculate the odds and make your own call.

If its your first watch though, or if you can't afford to lose, don't take chances and be safe.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 29, 2014

Sometimes the deal comes to you if your patient.

Have had watches offered and even given to me over the years because people know i am into watches.

I am happy to help anyone that needs advice or help with repairs no matter how much they paid for their watch.
    These are the people that say i got a gold watch for 20 years service about 20 years ago and its still in the box i think its a longjeans or something you can have it for $200 as i have never worn it.......................

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

This thinking is why there's a profitable arbitrage business in collectibles be they watches or something else even when these watches later sold by dealers were purchased at high cost from the major players like Christies and Sothebys.

9. Wongo Oct 29, 2014

I've brought watches from people in distress, medical bills, ex left the house and left a big bill. Had one lately which the guy said it's a friend gave to him but he's selling so he can get a rolex... Thought I brought a watch that will never reach me. It turned out a good deal.
    No one ever offered me anything so cheap I felt bad at paying them.

10. TNTwatch Oct 29, 2014

Pictures?

11. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 29, 2014

"You have to kiss a few frogs to find a princess"and its the same with vintage watches. There are bargains to be had but there's also duffers among them.
    Only experience takes some of the dangers out of buying.
    And my limited experience has learnt that I ask others for advice on this forum.

tpatta and JohnSteed like this.
  12. JohnSteed Oct 29, 2014

so true, so AF true. That'll forever be true and the stuff experience is made of.

13. repoman Oct 29, 2014

Wasn't the frog a prince?

14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 30, 2014

Busted!

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. JohnSteed Oct 30, 2014

Max B and those in his stratosphere are on a level I view from afar. As a n00b (which is what I consider myself as a hobbyist, not even a collector) I've found that if it's too expensive (see this quite a bit) then somebody IS playing you. I'm all for standing on the shoulder of the giants but most time, except here on OF, seems some if not most of those named and like minded giants want, is profits.

... that's one view

toddle321 likes this.
  16. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 30, 2014

I think it's better to pay a premium to a trusted dealer on here with the correct item than buy some iffy Franken monster with fuzzy pictures off eBay. This is probably a safe way in today's modern internet world.
    Now if you can see a watch in the flesh so to speak you can make your own judgement if your skilled enough.
    At the end of the day only you can decide if it's the watch for you.