Forums Latest Members
  1. MartinMarmite Mar 30, 2016

Hi All,

Came across this 1966ish Seamaster auto the other day. It's a 166.003 Cal 562, which all seems standard enough. I've seen a lot of Seamasters of the period but have never come across one with dog leg lugs on the case. It also has an octagonal crown.

I've seen both of these features on Constellations of the same era but never on a Seamaster.
    Anybody encountered this combination before please? 1.JPG 7.JPG 9.JPG

2. dwndler Mar 30, 2016

3. MartinMarmite Mar 30, 2016

Thanks for that dwndler ..... I did check the Omega database and I agree absolutely with what you say. I understand though that the database is not definitive on all matters.
    The screw case back is a fully stamped 166.003 Seamaster caseback and is a perfect fit for the case. As, I said I've only seen doglegs and octagonal crown on a Connie pie pan previously ... if it's a Franken ....... why would anyone in their right mind Franken a Connie into a Seamaster !?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2016

Because it is not a franken, it is a fake.

5. dwndler Mar 30, 2016

Because they are missing cal. 561/564 and maybe correct back case. You are completely right that Omegas database is not definitive on all matters. AFAIK Omega did not made two different cases which had same ref. number. Overlapping of movement types (eg. 562 and 565) was present but not the cases. You probably also googled "omega 166.003" or something similar as well and as far as I could see they all seem to have same shape as the one from Omega database.