Forums Latest Members

Does your moonwatch bracelet scratch and ding easy?

1. an1030 Apr 1, 2018

I am 3 weeks into wearing my speedmaster moonwatch daily and although I had a scuff mark on the bracelet within days (probably from sleeping with the watch), travelling with it and taking it off at the hotel, I took a new look at it today and saw a minor dent (chip) and some scratches on the bracelet.

I am trying my best to move on with life and just enjoy the watch but knowing it'll only get more dinged up (on bracelet) as I wear the watch is so disheartening! :(

I know for many others, this watch is just one of many but for me, this is my grail watch and I worked very hard to secure it, while I do not baby it it also is saddening to see it get damaged... :(

2. mayankyadav Apr 1, 2018

Wear your watch on the strap that came with it ;)

3. an1030 Apr 1, 2018

I like the bracelet a lot though but also plan to rotate between that and a leather strap I will end up buying in a few months for a more dressy look. I definitely did not buy the bracelet version to not wear the bracelet!!! :(

4. heccsat Apr 1, 2018

Man. Don't overcomplicate things. Just wear it and take every scratch with dignity. You will collect many more, those will make it yours.

nmttd2 and Foo2rama like this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 1, 2018

Dreadnought
    4FB6279A-0F2D-4FF7-8549-48B0FEA6F456.jpeg

ulackfocus likes this.
  6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 1, 2018

I must admit that all of the modern Omega bracelets I've owned have scuffed up very easily, compared to my vintage Heuer and Seiko ones.
    Seems like I've only got to look at a modern Omega clasp to add another mark.

7. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 1, 2018

Scratch, yes
    Ding, rarely

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. sevenhelmet Apr 1, 2018

Yes, the stainless used in the Speedmaster- especially the lugs and clasp- seems to have the scratch/dent resistance of warm butter. I'm always cognizant of it not touching anything while wearing it- and it still picks up scratches, as if by magic.

Oh well. Builds character.

Pun likes this.
  9. 77deluxe Apr 1, 2018

It’s why I like my nato so much.

10. an1030 Apr 1, 2018

Knowing that servicing the watch, surface level scratches and scuffs could be taken care of after asking Al - I am more concerned of this new ding that I acquired! Pity, I take the watch off when I get back to the hotel/home to prevent for any chance of careless damage and I think doing exactly that is the reason the particular link in question gets dinged!

I have PM'd Al to see what his take is on whether this is something that could be fixed up during service or if it is more along the 'permanent damage' type. I'll have to pay a little more care to how I handle my watches when on and off my wrist now! ::facepalm2::

Apologies to the veterans here who must see these crying posts every so often, I am just the latest 'new' victim... Maybe in a few months I will be able to console the next poor soul who experiences the same thing... Seems like it is almost a rite of passage for owning nice things to have them get beat up!

IMG_6680.jpg
  11. hanky6 Apr 1, 2018

I have smashed up one Hesalite crystal and one bezel on two different Speedmasters when taking them off as a precaution. To keep them from getting scratched and dinged.
    Both dropped on tiled floors.
    Now I keep my watch on my arm, unless I swap for another, no matter what.

Colt, Kmart, ThePiper and 1 other person like this.
  12. an1030 Apr 1, 2018

Yes, I have read in another thread to be cognizant of where I take off my watch to wind/change/take-off/put-on the watch!

Did you end up sending them back to the service center or a watchmaker??? Hope it was not too expensive! :(

13. hanky6 Apr 1, 2018

Replaced the damaged crystal, it was hard to read the time. The bezel was also replaced immediately as it was when my first Speedmaster was quite new.

14. ac921ol Apr 1, 2018

Just a heads up, I dropped my 8500 master coax Aqua Terra bracelet off at the boutique, and they sent it in to get looking new and it cost me $30 buckeroos

The mananger did mention it could be $90, but she sent me an email saying it was only $30

Going to pick it up tomorrow.

15. Tubber Apr 1, 2018

If you are worried about scratching or dinging the bracelet take it off and put it back in the box. Get a Kizzi strap and pretend your Neil Armstrong.
    OF3.jpg

16. nixf6 Apr 1, 2018

Don't wear it and it will look brand new for ever.
    First world problems I guess.

ulackfocus likes this.
  17. Canuck Apr 1, 2018

On the Mohs hardness scale which has talc at a hardness of 1, and diamond at a hardness of 10, steel (not necessarily stainless steel) has a hardness of 4 to 4.5. So that means that most anything you might encounter in the course of a day (other than marshmallows :)) is as hard as the metal on your bracelet, or a whole lot harder! Silica which comprises about 70% of the earth’s crust has a hardness of 6.5 to 7. If you plan on wearing the watch, get used to scratches. By the way, diamond is not ten times harder than talc. Depending on who you read, diamond is about 140 times harder than the next harder mineral on the scale......corundum (sapphire, ruby, etc.).

Starman71 and gostang9 like this.
  18. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Apr 1, 2018

I'm going to assume this is your first luxury watch. If so, then you've got a long road ahead.

19. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 1, 2018

I wear Speedmasters because they’re not supposed to be precious watches.

Occasionally, I smack a door knob with it when I’m passing by, and I wince. When no ones watching, I examine the watch. I swear to be more careful, but it eventually happens again.

Some collectibles, like wine, cannot be enjoyed without consuming the objects of worship. Others ask for slower consumption.

A watch I don’t wear is a watch I’m not enjoying. Dings and all, like me.

Kmart, vbrad26, Starman71 and 4 others like this.
  20. jetkins Apr 1, 2018

The clasp on mine picked up an abrasion within the first week, but it’s not going to get any more since I’ve decided I prefer the look of it on a NATO. :)

77deluxe likes this.