Forums Latest Members
  1. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

Hello Omega Forum experts,

I last appeared on this site before I purchased my first Omega. Your help was the clincher in making my decision.

As my birthday is coming around again, I've been hankering for a unique little Omega that fits my budget.

I've attached a few photos of a piece that I'm looking at and any advice would be amazing.

The seller says its from 1952 and is a 35mm two-tone (14k gold cap) Cal. 283, Ref. 2624-5.

Cheers!

omega 1.jpg omega movement.jpg omega 3.jpg omega 4.jpg omega 5.jpg omega 6.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2018

That dial is about as kosher as a pork roast. :confused: ::facepalm2::

3. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

so I guess it might not be ideal for a self-gift eh?

4. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2018

merchandiser likes this.
  5. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

6. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

I've got to say that in my ignorance I assumed this was from a particularly playful era in Omega design.

7. Dan S Jun 9, 2018

This was funny. I started reading the post and I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see most of the dial, this was all I could see:

twotone.jpg

So I'm reading, and wondering about the OP's first Omega, planning to look up his first thread. And then I finished reading and scrolled down a little and ... BAM! ... my head literally snapped back into the wall, I blurted out "oh my god", and started giggling uncontrollably. Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of you, but it was entertaining.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2018

No worries. It's better that you asked before you bought it, and took the small amount of criticism. If you had paid and received it already, we would have really given you a hard time! :p

A question: you said you "last appeared on this site" before a previous purchase that we helped you with, yet you only have 4 posts that are all in this thread. Did you reregister under a new screen name?

9. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

I'm glad I could bring some laughter to your day.

Thankfully, my first Omega got the omegaforums seal of approval and was then blessed by the Rabbi at our local Omega boutique.

BenBagbag and ulackfocus like this.
  10. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

Yes, I had to reregister a while back as I could no longer access my previous forum-specific email account.

11. Dan S Jun 9, 2018

We'll be happy to help you vet your purchases. Let's see a photo of your first Omega.

What made it so funny was just the way I had happened to scroll down exactly to the point before I could see the pink part of the dial and it was looking good so far. So it just really took me by surprise when I scrolled slightly further. :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. tieanep Jun 9, 2018

here she is

omega x.JPG
    murph, Foo2rama and Dan S like this.
  13. Dan S Jun 9, 2018

The ref 2640 you showed originally is actually a great Omega reference with a largish case, interesting lugs, good movement, etc. Some have two-tone "sector" dials, but the color contrast is obviously more of a subtle tone-on-tone. A better example of that reference would be a great addition to your collection.

murph likes this.
  14. tieanep Jun 10, 2018

I'm looking for something with a robust movement and relatively uncommon design keys. Ref. 2640 will be a good jumping off point.