Forums Latest Auctions Members

Does this watch look like a fake to you?

1. Adamh

Adamh Jul 13, 2016

This is my first vintage watch purchase. I used eBay, which was risky in retrospect. What do you think?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. efauser

efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 13, 2016

Any photos of the dial straight on, inside the case back or movement?

Adamh likes this.
  3. gatorcpa

gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 13, 2016

Probably not, but we'd need to see the inside of the caseback and movement to be sure.

One thing I can tell you is that the dial has been incorrectly refinished, which kills the collector value.

Better to post before you buy if you're not sure.
    gatorcpa

Adamh likes this.
  4. shaun hk

shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 13, 2016

The dial has been repainted and not particularly well and the case has been over polished. Not sure about the movement as I can not see it.
    Sorry but I would not recommend buying this watch to anyone.
    Though, I guess it does look shiny

Adamh likes this.
  5. Adamh

Adamh Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for the replies, I do regret buying it and asking this question after the fact. It's a bit disappointing to learn that the improperly refurbished dial is a value killer. What would be even more disappointing would be finding out that the watch is a complete fake. For what it's worth, the seller had great reviews and seemed very professional via email. I don't have the watch yet, so I can't examine the movement or provide more pictures. This is the advertised description:
    Cal.351 Bumper Automatic Stainless Steel Mens Watch 587

fzhu052 likes this.
  6. Ravineman

Ravineman Jul 13, 2016

It may end up not being a collectors watch, but it may also be a legit Omega.
    I like the dial, never seen one like that.
    The polished case, well, its what people do to tart up a watch that shows its age.
    I hope you didn't pay thousands for it, but the worst mistake you could make is not enjoying wearing it.

When you get it in your hands, take it to a watchmaker and have him open the case. Take clear photos of the inside of the caseback and movement and some head on pictures of the face ...... then the experts here can tell you what you bought.

Adamh and ahartfie like this.
  7. JimInOz

JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. Jul 13, 2016

The seller described the watch reasonably accurately (Genève?) and provided good photographs (although none of the movement).

There is also a rider in the TOS:

• For buyer remorse returns, the buyer will be responsible for the postage costs. If there is a problem with the item, the seller will be responsible for all costs incurred.

So you not only have to pay return postage, but also any other costs if the watch is damaged/lost in transit.

Unless you know what to look for when buying a vintage watch, you will end up with examples like this.

This one is not for a collector but will make a nice shiny watch to wear.

Adamh likes this.
  8. Adamh

Adamh Jul 18, 2016

9. Adamh

Adamh Jul 18, 2016

Well, I just received the watch today, and certainly looks different from the pictures. I haven't had a chance to have it opened up, but here are my pictures of what I received. Any thoughts on why it looks different?

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  10. gatorcpa

gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 18, 2016

Yes. The pictures were taken at an angle that (IMO) deliberately obscured the defects in the dial.

If you purchased on eBay, I'd start a dialog with the seller to return the watch. You might be out a few bucks for shipping, but you shouldn't be stuck with it.
    gatorcpa

heavenscloud and Adamh like this.
  11. Adamh

Adamh Jul 18, 2016

Here's a picture in very bright light. None of the pictures of the dial posted by the seller looked so...sparkly. Also, at the risk (or inevitability) of sounding obtuse, what are the apparent defects here, so I may know what to look out for next time? Many thanks.

image.jpeg
    Edited Jul 18, 2016
  12. WatchmakerTheory

WatchmakerTheory Jul 18, 2016

Seconded. The seller's return policy, in my opinion, is somewhat generous. You may lose a small bit of money on shipping, but that's a small price to pay for a lesson learned.

Sorry that your first vintage watch purchase didn't work out so well. I, along with many other members here, have had great experiences buying online. Make sure to post here before you buy, and better luck next time!

Adamh likes this.
  13. shaun hk

shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 18, 2016

The dial has been repainted, you can tell easily by the minute markers and I don't think the minute hand is original to the watch.

Adamh likes this.
  14. shaun hk

shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 18, 2016

Sorry I meant the second hand

Adamh likes this.
  15. Ravineman

Ravineman Jul 18, 2016

the watch you got was definitely not the one pictured. Not even close !

Adamh likes this.
  16. Adamh

Adamh Jul 19, 2016

Well, I think I at least figured out how the dial looked so different in the sellers ad. Daylight. I now have a picture of the movement. The serial number places it around 1952. I paid about $600 for the watch, which I don't think is a huge sum since similar peices with original dials were well over a thousand. I may simply have gotten what I paid for. Regardless, I will give returning it some thought. To everyone who responded, thanks for your time and insight.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Jul 19, 2016
  17. efauser

efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 19, 2016

I think you paid way too much for that watch. If I were you, I would spend the relatively small amount and return it. You can find original examples for that price.

Willem023 and heavenscloud like this.
  18. ulackfocus

ulackfocus Jul 19, 2016

$600 for a bad redial is overpaying. Return it and ask for help finding a good watch for that money.

Willem023 and heavenscloud like this.
  19. shaun hk

shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 19, 2016

Maybe it is the lighting on the pictures but the movement doesn't look great too

20. Adamh

Adamh Jul 19, 2016

I've contacted the seller and notified him that the watch will be returned.

Thanks everyone.

Edited Jul 19, 2016
    jimmyjay, Dr No and mbeast like this.