Forums Latest Members

Does this Omega Have any value?

1. hpfinc Aug 6, 2019

The Omega shown below was given to me by my parents 40 years ago when I received by Master's Degree. I have not worn it in decades.

It needs a new battery and is obviously used.

Can anyone tell me its approximate worth?

Thanks.

IMG-2631.jpeg IMG-2632.jpeg IMG-2633.jpeg
  2. TwistedVicar Aug 6, 2019

Hi there,

How about you stick around for a while. Get to know the forum and the contributors, and along the way you will learn a bunch.

BTW - It's a 198.030

3. Canuck Aug 6, 2019

As with most items, it is possibly worth more to it’s owner than it is to almost anyone else. If you haven’t worn it for decades, that might be a comment on its value to you. This watch was produced before Omega became part of the Swatch group. It is an older style of electro-mechanical movement using a tuning fork. To get an idea of what owners of these ask for them in on line auctions, Google Omega F-300 watches for sale. It will be worth more if it runs and if the calendar functions (a weakness in these), than if it doesn’t run. There is not a large demand for these, so I suggest you don’t get your hopes up.

I just checked eBay for these. If you do so as well, take into account that some of the prices asked are very optimistic, in my opinion. I base this on the fact that I have one that is in excellent condition that was given to me!

Edited Aug 6, 2019
    Spacefruit and Benbradstock like this.
  4. hpfinc Aug 6, 2019

Thank you so much for the information. You're right about it not having much value to me, as I have two much nicer watches. BTW, there's a similar model offered on EBAY (much better physical condition) with a price of $500.
    Lastly, you mention the tuning fork. Does this watch take a battery?

5. Ritzwatch Aug 6, 2019

C
    Yes, it takes a battery. It is an earlier !model of battery operated watches, and used a tuning fork, which gave it a distinctive sound, and nickname, a "hummer". It really kind of bridges the gap between mechanical watches and modern quartz (which it is NOT). There is a lot of info if you google "f300 hummer", or if you use the forum search tool you will pull up multiple thread (use the magnifying glass in the top right of the screen.) A few members know quite a bit about these as well, I hope some chime in, as Canuck was kind enough to do. I have an old battery/tuning fork that belonged to my dad (not an Omega), someday I will get it fixed and running - even though it would.never give me any return on investment

6. fastfras Aug 6, 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Bulova make the hummer (f300) movement?

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2019

If the old battery was left in and leaked then the movement will likely be junk and the value minimal. If it can be made to work then the head is worth $200-300 with maybe $100 more for the bracelet. These are not massively valuable, particularly when gold plated. As noted the plastic date wheel could be shot too.
    No. These use an ESA made movement which used licensed Bulova tuning fork tech. Bulova’s hummers are quite different. Omega’s 1250 movement is in essence the ESA Mosaba 9162 with different coloured plates. It still has ESA markings too

Edited Aug 7, 2019
    Spacefruit and JimInOz like this.
  8. joeshoup Aug 7, 2019

Yes, they did - and then licensed it to other watch companies! The ESA 9162 movement is the basis for the Omega 1250 movement that is probably in OP's watch (I have the same one in steel). Other companies had other versions of the 9162, like Eterna's cal. 1550. They all say 'lic Bulova pat' indicating that they licensed the Bulova technology.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 7, 2019

Bulova didn’t make them though, ESA (who became ETA) did, they are quite different from the Bulova designs. See above.

10. RIGG Aug 7, 2019