Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Sep 18, 2015

I have watched an ebay auction for an Omega Tourbillon dial which sold for US$ 656 recently...

Tourb.JPG

Besides of having several scratches it is marked: " T swiss T " indicating the use of tritium and there is absolutely no sign of any lume on the whole dial.
    There is a notch at 12 which might be an indication for a re-dial but I have also seen plenty of correct unrestored dials with this notch...

The back looks suspicious too as if the indices had been moved and re-attached (and secured with lacquer or similar)

Tourb_b.JPG

How big is the chance to ever find an Omega Tourbillon in someone´s life which needs replacement through a suspicious and damaged dial?

Suspect bidding patterns "on top of the cake"...

2. calalum Sep 18, 2015

Ummm, not a very good chance. Vintage Omega Tourbillons are EXTREMELY rare. So be glad that you did not buy that dial.

3. ulackfocus Sep 18, 2015

Tony, what makes you suspect the use of lacquer on the dial back? The grind marks are a little deeper than normal as if the marker feet were ground down to facilitate removal.

4. mac_omega Sep 18, 2015

I mean the bright areas around the markers´ feet, different color, often this is a sign where some clear shellac or other lacquer is applied to secure the feet after re-applying them... I have marked with read arrows.

Tourb_b_m.jpg

btw, I am not Tony, just Erich :)

5. flw history nerd Sep 18, 2015

Besides (and I am no expert by any means), what are the chances that this dial was really for a tourbillon? Every photo I've ever seen of a tourbillon watch (or an actual one in a shop window case) shows the tourbillon mechanism - but there's no room on this dial.

The logo and words "Omega Tourbillon" also look photoshopped into the picture ... Just my opinion.

6. TNTwatch Sep 18, 2015

Quite a few others on the net also have the similar T but no lume dial. Here's one belonging to Jack Khorsandi:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/vintage-omega-watches-los-angeles-jackmond/2/
    [​IMG]

One of the Museum's also appears to have the same T but no lume:

http://hoodinkee-beta.squarespace.c...rlds-first-tourbillon-wristwatch-caliber.html
    [​IMG]

Edited Sep 18, 2015
  7. mac_omega Sep 18, 2015

This is not for a recent production Tourbillon (which is a visible center tourbillon) - it should be for one of the 12 (if I remember correctly) tourbillons with cal. 30 I (i) ever produced - 2 of them were sold in the Omegamania auction... dial would be correct but the mentioned issues let me think it is a re-dial (was stated as 100% original by the well known seller though - which I hardly believe...)

8. Buck2466 Sep 18, 2015

It also has a painted Omega logo, while the ones in the pictures from TNT have applied logos.

dsio likes this.
  9. TNTwatch Sep 18, 2015

The steel watch from the Museum also has a painted logo, though with a different dial design. For just a dozen copies of the watch in total, they already have 2 different dials still in their hands. A third one is not really that strange.