Forums Latest Members

Does this look stupid? Pic Heavy

1. Mr Bing Jul 6, 2016

Well I can't think of a better place or better people to give an honest opinion.

This time next week I'll be in sunny Spain for a much needed break with the wife and kids. Some years ago I had a bad (drunken) experience on holiday and I lost a very nice watch. For this reason I'm leaving my better watches at home and I've been looking for a decent low priced beater which I can get wet and dirty on vacation and beyond.

Long story short, yesterday a Sumo came in the post. I like the watch but not I'm not sold on the bracelet.
    I tried it with a NATO today....looks good but this thing is big and heavy and the thin fabric of the NATO doesn't do a good job of holding the watch firmly on the wrist. I've ordered a heavy duty Zulu which should come tomorrow so I'll see how that works.

Anyway, I found an old battered Panerai strap from years ago at the bottom of a box. The strap is really thick and 24mm at both ends. I've modified it so that the ends fit into the 20mm lug width of the Seiko.

I'm kind of torn whether I like the result or not. Honest opinions please...if it looks shit so be it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheers,

Paul

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  2. Traveler Jul 6, 2016

I like it :thumbsup: but I'm a serial strap modifier myself

3. italy1861 Jul 6, 2016

I love the Sumo and would love one in blue but, a watch that size needs a bracelet bigger than 20mm.. That being said, the strap you chose works well.

4. JesterP Jul 6, 2016

Yeah i think your onto something using a wider strap and modding it. Looks nice and chunky good idea.

5. watchthirst Jul 6, 2016

I was not expecting to to dig this, BUT.....I do!

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 6, 2016

Looks fine, however, don't know how it will react to getting wet. My advice would be to go NATO. Better to have a busted springbar than a lost watch ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2016

Looks good to me!

8. dialstatic Jul 6, 2016

Lost it gambling? I feel we're missing out on a great story here ;)

On topic: yes, it looks nice. Nothing wrong with a diver on leather (except, possibly, when you actually go diving). I've always felt that the sumo should have had 22 lug spacing. 24 is maybe a tad large, but it works. Have fun!

9. rcs914 Jul 6, 2016

I think it looks really good. Maybe rub a little wax or oil into the cut edges though to match the rest of the leather.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Jul 6, 2016

How about a rubber Zulu/NATO from ZuluDiver?

11. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 6, 2016

I'm personally not a fan of leather straps on divers but this doesn't look terrible. I've always found that the thicker NATOs/Zulus work well with the heavier divers so you might be pleasantly surprised with the new Zulu.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2016

I differ slightly from the previous posts. I think it looks like crap. Looks like it was cut down and cheap by someone that does not know better, the same guys that wear Speidel twist-o-flex bands.

Well you asked for an honest answer, thought it was time someone gave you one. :rolleyes:

13. Mr Bing Jul 6, 2016

Thanks for the mostly positive comments, they were better than expected. I appreciate them all.

@cicindela I admire your honesty. :)

14. Fost Jul 6, 2016

you should try to do your own strap! No more issue after that!

... I will finish this one tomorrow ::shy::
    image.jpeg

Mr Bing, Mothra, watchknut and 2 others like this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 6, 2016

This one I like :thumbsup:

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 6, 2016

I wish you hadn't mentioned these. Didn't know they existed and now have the urge to get some.

Bad Lizard :whipped:

17. alam Jul 6, 2016

It will keep the watch strapped to you wrist :thumbsup: no worries about those flying on a plane as they will not notice the butchered leather. :) ask @Mad Dog :D

18. alam Jul 6, 2016

pretty leather; can you make it fit an Omega deployant 20/18? I'm not good with a knife... :whistling:

19. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 7, 2016

I think it looks good . . . and that is a substantial buckle, which could be especially important if any aspects of the holiday become wild!

20. Fost Jul 7, 2016

I started only 3 weeks ago so never tried to fit a deployant yet... But I will try later i guess as i don't own any deployant myself !