Forums Latest Members

Does this look like a redial and are the hands correct?

1. dlukask Dec 2, 2015

Thinking about purchasing this circa '66 Connie, and the seller claims it's an original "rare" charcoal dial. I've seen sunburst gray from this time period, but I've never seen this dial variation before.

Thoughts?

2. dlukask Dec 2, 2015

Thinking about purchasing this circa '66 Connie, and the seller claims it's an original "rare" charcoal dial. I've seen sunburst gray from this time period, but I've never seen this dial variation before. It seems to pass the MOY test.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 2, 2015

Looks like a redial to me.

PatrickJ and Peemacgee like this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 2, 2015

Pics please !

PatrickJ likes this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 2, 2015

Found the pics!

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 2, 2015

Ok. Now we have the pic. Looks original to me.;)

PatrickJ and kyle L like this.
  7. dlukask Dec 2, 2015

Ha, OK. Thanks! (Sorry about that – the site timed out when I was hitting "POST" the first time, with the pic attached rather than embedded.)

On second thought, I have seen this colour dial previously on a 60's Geneve, just never on a Connie.

I think it's very sharp looking. I might have to join the race.

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 2, 2015

sorry for hi-jacking the OP post -but it is (sort of) relevant
    interesting dogleg grey dial
    polished lugs -but otherwise looks good IMO
    were grey dials an normal option or is this a faded black?
    Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 19.12.16.png

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 2, 2015

2015-12-02_08-43-51.jpg Need to inspect the outer rim of the dial to be sure it was from a 168.005 or a C case.
    Oh my God! Too many Frankenmasters these days.

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. dlukask Dec 2, 2015

[​IMG]
    They look long enough to not be aftermarket replacements, especially the minute hand given the slight angle.

Would love a more informed opinion...

Thanks!

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 2, 2015

Yes, they look correct. I have one with the same hands.

12. Lennov Dec 2, 2015

13. Lennov Dec 2, 2015

and here we have a picture in Page 368 of the official "Omega - Reise durch die Zeit" /"A Journey Through Time"

...also the crown looks like from a different model

Datei 03.12.15, 03 02 00.jpeg
    Edited Dec 2, 2015
  14. dlukask Dec 3, 2015

Yeah, but who officially published this book?

That Connie doesn't pass the MOY test, so it could be a redial. I think they made this model for a number of years and had more than one source of dial makers, so there are variations on all watches. From what I've seen in searching, back then, it seems like there weren't really a set number of options, it was kind of like they made 2,000 a certain way, with various dials and then moved on to something different. I dunno.

15. Lennov Dec 3, 2015

the book "A Journey Through Time" is published from Omega and its archives.

One could call it the Omega Bible...

This is the German version

Datei 04.12.15, 03 54 19.jpeg
  16. dlukask Dec 3, 2015

I've just always gone by this

http://omega-constellation-collecto...ts-all-about-moy-except-when-it-isnt.html?m=1

At least in terms of a first pass. There are some exceptions, but the example you show is a fairly common model, right? It clearly fails, however. The Y is almost directly under the O.

Not saying that isn't the "bible," but maybe they used a refurbished watch that looks near perfect to illustrate the reference...?

17. Lennov Dec 4, 2015

@dlukask

What do you mean by that? Do you mean, the Constellation in the book, published by Omega failes the "MOY"-Test? And you mean, they have used a refurbished dial for their publication? They where not able, to get an original one?

Who has invented this "Moy Test"... and do you belive, it makes a sense? What does a "test" say, which means
    "MOY is something you can be absolutely certain about but never 100% sure!!".
    Even if this is not my native language, I have my problems with this sentence...
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/yw5mwzezzdq/MOY and Omega Constellations.pdf

When you look throgh the book (published by Omega), beginning at page 360, chapter "Constellation", you will find many watches, which "aren't original"... beginning with the first one... The Y is under the O and out of the center. I fairly doubt that...

For example... this one must be a redial, the Y is nearly undter the O
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Omega-Conste...00/s/MTYwMFgxMTM1/z/CToAAOSwT5tWL8uW/$_57.JPG

You were asking "the example you show is a fairly common model, right?"...that is the one, you were showing us here

18. dlukask Dec 4, 2015

From what I understand, the MOY test originated because the dials on "crosshair" Constellations show a vertical line than runs through the center of the dial, it passes through the first peak in the M, then the center of the O and touches the right tip of the Y. This set a precedent for the correct alignment of the type printed under the OMEGA emblem. Subsequent dials should have this lettering config first as originals.

The example you show in the book is far more misaligned than the one in that ad.

Book is like:
    O
    Y

The ad is more like:
    O
    Y

If you look at all the other images of Constellation dials shown in this thread, the Y is clearly in the correct relationship to the O, whereas in your book example it is clearly more underneath it.

As the author of that MOY test PDF points out, there are very limited runs of original dials that fail the test, but absolute originals more of the time do not.

19. Lennov Dec 4, 2015

okay... I still don't believe, that Omega Company uses "wrong" or repainted dials in their publications. Especially not in that book.

20. dlukask Dec 4, 2015

Well, I think it could possibly be like a museum collection.

Museums display restored artifacts all the time. Even like a collection of antique cars on display.

They might be more communicative by showing a "pristine" example of a watch rather than an aged one. That's all I'm talking about. They illustrate that this was a design available at the time and show a watch that might have been serviced, cleaned and/or restored to "new" condition. It is possible. No?