Forums Latest Members
  1. sgul Jun 13, 2013

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 13, 2013

Common watch in so-so condition with a price that is too high (worth about 25% of the asking price). Lots of nicer and cheaper watches in the FS section.

3. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2013

Agreed - WAY too expensive.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2013

Agreed - WAY, WAY too expensive.

5. John R Smith Jun 14, 2013

I wouldn't be quite so dismissive about this seller. The web-site is superb, and well worth browsing for a great deal of excellent watch history and background information about the vintage watch market in the UK, especially if you are new to the scene. As far as price goes, yes they are on the high side but again not so steep as you would suggest. There is no way that you could find a Seamaster like this in the UK for 25% of the asking price as you imply - not a chance. And certainly not from a dealer. You might just find one at £500 to £600, but probably not as nice. In the USA things are different, obviously . . .

John

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 14, 2013

I admit UK price is higher in general for vintage. Not for the modern one though.

7. sgul Jun 14, 2013

Thank you for these great comments. Interestingly, I was concerned that the price on this website was too low! I was quoted £1800 for a similar model at George Somlo in Burlington arcade, and £1500 at Austin Kaye on the Strand. I wanted to see whether the watches on the site look quality/original components, without redials.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking in the 'for sale' section- but current sea masters there seem to have too much "patina"- I'd like something in very good condition, ideally.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 14, 2013

Top Quality is MUCH more expensive than good/fair quality.

Some of the Somlo stock is excellent - but not all, and he does have to pay the rent on what I believe is the most expensive shop in the Arcade.

Anyone can walk into a shop and buy a brand new watch for say £3000. It takes taste, judgement, patience and negotiation to find a fine vintage watch. A little knowledge doesn't hurt.

It sounds like you have those, I wish you all the luck in finding what you seek.

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 14, 2013

A friend of mine has bought several pieces from the dealer in the original post. Their prices are a bit steep, generally and he now treats claims of recent services with a huge pinch of salt. To put their prices into perspective, he bought a Zenith from them for about 3 times what I paid for a similar watch on eBay. They have recently told him that they have stopped updating their web site.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 14, 2013

Well I would only add that we are referencing world prices. There are other avenues open besides the London retail market. If there is no urgency I would take the time to go through the various options and be patient.

No is being dismissive of the seller, only the price.

11. John R Smith Jun 14, 2013

In the 'For Sale' section here I saw only one Omega which I would consider "collectible". I wouldn't rate any of the three watches I personally own as collectible, either, they each have problems. True collectibles are either museum quality, or so rare as to justify a lower standard of condition. Which isn't to say you can't own and enjoy something which wears its scars with pride - I've had a few guitars like that, over the years.

JimInOz likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2013

Just noticed your avatar John.

A little bit more elegant than the traditional Aussie dunny ;-)

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 14, 2013

That watch the OP discussed isn't even close to top-notch condition - even the dial is not anywhere near being pristine. And I agree that with any vintage collectible that has several examples around, condition and originality are vital and as a result, make the item more valuable.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 14, 2013

It's been mentioned in different ways and by different posters in this forum but many of the really nice vintage omegas are in the hands of collectors who will either let them go only as part of a trade or for a high price. Of course there are examples that come up on ebay, other auctions and dealers as well but the supply is slowly diminishing. As a rough estimate - perhaps for every 100 vintage omegas for sale in ebay maybe 1 in my view is worth consideration to buy - the other 99 are either too shabby or too dressed up or too pricey or all of the above.

15. John R Smith Jun 14, 2013

Agreed. What makes something valuable is a curious and variable thing, however. For example, if you were purchasing J F Kennedy's watch or Elvis' watch, you would certainly not want it to be pristine - it would have to bear the patina and scars of ownership. A bit like Hendix's guitar, really. So in this case the famous association is actually more important than the object. I collect old Hasselblad cameras and lenses, and to be worth anything at all they have to be mint, mint, mint. But old Leicas (M series) are often actually worth more (or at least as much) when they are heavily brassed (worn).

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 14, 2013

Those are unique pieces that are on-of-a-kind and are typically not subject to the usual rules of collecting. This for example is the reason why a close relative now collects comic book art rather than comic books - there's only 1 example of the art vs. many, many examples of the actual comic book.

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 14, 2013

My view on collecting is that once I have decided to add a watch to my collection, I will "bank" a reasonable example and carry on looking for a better example. The only problem with this is that I find selling anything distasteful - that's just me and God bless all you sellers, without whom........ - so I end up with both good and mediocre examples of the same watch. A prime example are my Zenith 133.8 Chronometres. I bought a nice (broken) stainless steel example (since mended) then a week later I bought an 18 ct. version with a not so good dial, but I'm still looking for the gold one with a perfect dial.

If I wasn't so obsessive about it, when I find the perfect one, I should sell the imperfect gold one but I just know that I won't.

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 14, 2013

This is how I ended up with four... soon to be five... Spacemen.

[​IMG]

Will have to divest myself of half of this squadron.

John R Smith, NT931 and Privateday7 like this.
  19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 14, 2013

But you are as bad as me. :confused:

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 15, 2013

Oh good. Not just me then.
    P1140528.jpg
    '69's. On straps.

NT931, MKelley and Privateday7 like this.